Mandarin and coppersafe

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately one of my display tanks has ich and likely flukes. I've pulled all my fish and they are currently in copper. However, I have a fat and healthy 5 year old mandarin that I have isolated in a separate 20g tank. I wanted to observe her to see if she actually developed any symptoms and unfortunately it looks like she's infected as all. I was planning on using chloroquine phosphate, but I hate that I can't measure the levels. I came across a post where @Jay Hemdal said he's used coppersafe on sharks and other sensitive species. Is that an option for my mandarin? How quickly can I raise the copper and what's my therapeutic concentration to aim for? What do I need to look for in case she can't tolerate it?

(Note: picture was pre-infection)

20240422_124359.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately one of my display tanks has ich and likely flukes. I've pulled all my fish and they are currently in copper. However, I have a fat and healthy 5 year old mandarin that I have isolated in a separate 20g tank. I wanted to observe her to see if she actually developed any symptoms and unfortunately it looks like she's infected as all. I was planning on using chloroquine phosphate, but I hate that I can't measure the levels. I came across a post where @Jay Hemdal said he's used coppersafe on sharks and other sensitive species. Is that an option for my mandarin? How quickly can I raise the copper and what's my therapeutic concentration to aim for? What do I need to look for in case she can't tolerate it?
Might want to try TTM for the mandarin

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

(Note: picture was pre-infection)

20240422_124359.jpg
Copper based product Not recommended for mandarins and safer is Chloroquine phosphate but at lower dosage and my preference is General cure. These fish are disease resistant but not immune to such. TTM may pose great stress on them.
Can you post a short video when time permits to confirm ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM would work for ich, but not flukes.

Mandarins do get ich, but often do not get the same flukes diseases as other fish.

Coppersafe can be used on mandarins, but that species just doesn't do well in a bare hospital tank. Yours being a long term captive might have enough bulk to carry it through the treatment, but it is still risky. And then, that won't help with flukes.

Chloroquine might be the option to try. If you know the net volume of the QT, it is fairly safe to use.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with chloroquine if available. General cure is metronidazole and prazipro - and I don't believe in your case that there is a benefit if this is ich. As to the levels, you also can't measure the levels of prazipro. I wonder if you could do your prazipro for the mandarin with the copper - to lessen the time in the bare tank. You could also do TTM with Prazipro in the water. Good luck with whatever you decide. @Jay Hemdal why not just use prazipro with the mandarin after (or during) copper?

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have her in a 20g long tank with a big chunk of chaeto and a small piece of live rock and have been dosing pods weekly. I trying to train her on arctipods and calanus in the meantime. She seems interested. Her fins will start flapping and her mouth starts moving in and out, but I haven't seen her actually eat any of it. My plan is to keep her in there until the 4 week mark of the fallow period, treat her with chloroquine and general cure for 14 days and then get her back into the reef as soon as the fallow is over. I understand there's risk in not having an observation period after treatment, but unless I get her on prepared food, I think there's more risk of leaving her in a hospital/observation tank.

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully gotten a spotted mandarin through a 30 day Copperpower treatment, at 2.25 ppm Cu., and in the middle of a 2nd mandarin in QT.

The most difficult part was keeping it fed during the copper treatment. I was hatching BBS every day or two and keeping the hatched BBS in the fridge to keep their nutritious yolk sac intact.

I would feed copious amounts of fresh hatched BBS several times a day. Thankfully the mandarin started eating TDO pellets towards the end of the QT.

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you help a girl out here and someone define all the acronyms?
TTNM
TDO
BBS

I think I've got OT. Lol

I would never get through this hobby without people as smart and sharing (and non-judgemental) as they are on this forum! Thank you!
TTM - Tank transfer method
TDO - Reef nutrition's TDO pellets
BBS - Baby brine shrimp

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back