Mandarin Deaths

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two (wild caught) Mandarins to die a few days after bringing them home from the LFS. I also had one which died before I could even get him out of the bag. My other 5 fish are doing just fine; water parameters are excellent, and there are plenty of pods for a Mandarin. I wonder what caused the deaths of the Mandarins. Could it be that they had been collected using cyanide ?

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I wouldn't doubt that alot of our wild caught fish have had their fair share of cyanide. But keep it down, that's currently the industries best kept secret... Also I'm sure that since being taken out of the ocean those mandarins haven't had a bite to eat...

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild Mandarins are very difficult to keep fish due to the need for tons of live copepods and their general feeding habits. They've probably been starving in the LFS for weeks before you got them and the stress of the tank transfer took them over the edge. If you want one you should purchase a captive bred variant that is trained to eat frozen foods. I think its pretty unethical that LFS sell people wild mandarins knowing they have almost no chance of survival...

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild Mandarins are very difficult to keep fish due to the need for tons of live copepods and their general feeding habits. They've probably been starving in the LFS for weeks before you got them and the stress of the tank transfer took them over the edge. If you want one you should purchase a captive bred variant that is trained to eat frozen foods. I think its pretty unethical that LFS sell people wild mandarins knowing they have almost no chance of survival...
I haven’t been to many fish stores that are all that concerned with the fishes well being. I saw one I won’t name suggest a hippo tang for a 20g tank.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been to many fish stores that are all that concerned with the fishes well being. I saw one I won’t name suggest a hippo tang for a 20g tank.
Not surprising, quick $100 for them, who cares about Dory!

I'm seeing a ton of mandarins lately at LFS. Any they're only like $30-40, meaning the store is prob only making like $20 profit on each one they 'sacrifice'.

Sad that livestock is viewed so insignificantly in the aquarium hobby. If people can't realistically care for it, leave it in the ocean.

OP
OP
Clownfish_Boy

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is heavily populated with pods now, there was plenty to eat.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back