Mandarin Dragonet and Peppermint Shrimp

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
So I have a pair of mandarin dragonets from Biota, and they are pretty dang small still. Well lately some aptasia has been popping up in their tank. I’ve been using a turkey baster to get the ones in sand bed, and gluing over the ones on rock but obviously that won’t get rid of the problem. I do have a peppermint shrimp thats good to go into the tank, however these dragonets are my babies, and I would hate for anything to happen to them. Which is why I want to ask, would a peppermint shrimp and a dragonet be okay together? I tend to not be a fan of these shrimp, seeing as in my other tanks, one has tried eating a zoa, one has bit me, and the another steals algae wafers from all of my fish and inverts. I have zero trust in them. I would hate for the shrimp to attack my dragonet. Thanks for your time!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins have a particularly foul slime coating - which is why pretty much everything ignores and/or leaves them alone. Pretty sure the shrimp won't even give him a second look (I have much larger crabs in my tank and even they won't go anywhere near my mandarin).

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see your peppermint joining the mandarins during your target feedings, but otherwise leaving them completely alone. As stated by blaxsun mandarins are left alone by all tank inhabitants.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 100 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back