Mandarin Dragonet in new tank…

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 gal tank will not have a sustainable growth of pods to feed the Mandarin. If you want to keep him you have to feed him manually. Frozen, hatch brine shrimps, pod supplement (a lot and expensive)
If you want him to live, you just have to spend a lot of time and efforts, or else get a bigger tank. At least a 40 gal breeder.
my pair in my 40 gal breeder that is setting up with Mandarin in mind.
1AD1C5C5-1480-4585-A95C-A391DC41B1E6.png

Casingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 gal tank will not have a sustainable growth of pods to feed the Mandarin. If you want to keep him you have to feed him manually. Frozen, hatch brine shrimps, pod supplement (a lot and expensive)
If you want him to live, you just have to spend a lot of time and efforts, or else get a bigger tank. At least a 40 gal breeder.
my pair in my 40 gal breeder that is setting up with Mandarin in mind.
1AD1C5C5-1480-4585-A95C-A391DC41B1E6.png
I’m in the process of starting a waterbox 50.3 and would like to set it up around the needs of keeping one captive bred mandarin (along with a few other fish). I have a lot of rockwork, and also used crushed coral because I read it gives copepods a large area to breed in the substrate where the mandarin can’t get to them. Can you give me any more tips on how to design the tank around the mandarin’s needs?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of starting a waterbox 50.3 and would like to set it up around the needs of keeping one captive bred mandarin (along with a few other fish). I have a lot of rockwork, and also used crushed coral because I read it gives copepods a large area to breed in the substrate where the mandarin can’t get to them. Can you give me any more tips on how to design the tank around the mandarin’s needs?
Yes, I could recommend setting up your own phyto and pod breeding station so you could weekly dose both

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crushed coral may not be ideal- it can trap detritus. Be careful with that.

Lots of rockwork is the best thing you can do. Dosing phyto is an excellent plan. Dosing pods will help, too.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have this correct. I have used small bivalves shells layer on top, which is even better. These shells are about 1/4 inches is size and make perfect substrate for my mandarin tank. A lot of corals rubbles to keep good habitat for pods. Avoid food competitors like certain wrasses and dwarf angels.

Casingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have this correct. I have used small bivalves shells layer on top, which is even better. These shells are about 1/4 inches is size and make perfect substrate for my mandarin tank. A lot of corals rubbles to keep good habitat for pods. Avoid food competitors like certain wrasses and dwarf angels.
Thank you! I have also set up a rubble pile since I originally wrote this. Never thought about the shells, good idea.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trade it or just give it away. I am sorry but in that tank that fish will die a slow starvation death no matter how many pods you buy.

They need a larger, much older tank. I keep them about 10 years and never bought a pod in my life. In the beginning of the hobby, I also killed a lot of them through kindness as I thought I could feed them. I was wrong.

Good luck no matter what you do.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trade it or just give it away. I am sorry but in that tank that fish will die a slow starvation death no matter how many pods you buy.

They need a larger, much older tank. I keep them about 10 years and never bought a pod in my life. In the beginning of the hobby, I also killed a lot of them through kindness as I thought I could feed them. I was wrong.

The OP just has 13.5 gal tank which is just not big enough to be a food source for mandarin no matter what he does intern of providing food naturally. He just has to follow Paul's method and be a slave to his mandarin.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have to agree with @Paul B here. Even though it is the harsh reality.

I have killed my fare share of mandarins early on trying to keep them fed in smaller tanks. It's just not possible.

Now that I have a larger tank, and dose live phyto daily, I have kept a pair of mandarins for a couple years now without a single supplemental feeding.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if peoples opinions would change at all IF:
1. OP began live phyto culture and copepod culture, to provide regular dosing to system.
2. OP had an established Refugium to keep copepod population reproducing in the system.

I see the popular opinion emerging as ‘13 gallons is too small of space’ which I agree with. But if the nutrition is being added from another location regularly, wouldn’t that solve it?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if peoples opinions would change at all IF:
1. OP began live phyto culture and copepod culture, to provide regular dosing to system.
2. OP had an established Refugium to keep copepod population reproducing in the system.

I see the popular opinion emerging as ‘13 gallons is too small of space’ which I agree with. But if the nutrition is being added from another location regularly, wouldn’t that solve it?
I would agree if the nutritional needs are met, it would probably be ok. But 13G tank is probably close to 8 or 9 gallons after rock, and thats just too small for an adult mandy to be comfortable in. A small juvenile would probably be fine for a year or so though.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree if the nutritional needs are met, it would probably be ok. But 13G tank is probably close to 8 or 9 gallons after rock, and thats just too small for an adult mandy to be comfortable in. A small juvenile would probably be fine for a year or so though.
Thanks for the response! I have dreams of keeping a mandarin but I’m in a similar boat to OP. Small system, still relatively immature.
A7BDC42C-DD9D-4131-894E-07814A684B6D.jpeg 04C006DE-B1D2-466F-BDB3-C31B7814440A.jpeg
maybe I could start it in the shallow and begin an upgrade project (55g FW tank=converted into reef) for when it grows out.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, as long as their feeding habits are met, I wouldn't put one in anything smaller then 30G. Anything smaller just would not have the rockwork it needs to hunt. It's their natural behavior.

I rarely see mine as it's always in the rockwork hunting. They literally spend the entire day hunting for food, when my lights start ramping down they take a break before bed to do their mating dance.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'd need some massive cultures to keep up with the pod demand in a tank that size, is one of the problems. Mandarins eat thousands of pods a day. Pod cultures are good for keeping the levels up in a tank with less demand, but with the amount of space and effort you'd have to devote to culturing to feed a mandarin, you'd be better off just having a larger tank. The mandarin needs the space to roam anyway.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back