Feeding a Mandarin Dragonet in a Nano Reef

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw around this idea way back before I setup my reef. I have a 16-gallon reef 11 months old loaded with coral. I set up some copepod breeding jars to dose the aquarium. I feed the copepods live phyto there are a lot of tutorials online on setting up copepod cultures. I really want a Green Mandarin Dragonet and fully understand a 16 gallon is too small to sustain a copepod population hence why I setup the breeding jars. If I were to add a Dragonet to the aquarium how often would I need to dose the copepods to keep it fat and happy? Does anyone have experience with this?

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure but if it is an AIO aquarium try setting up a refugium in a back chamber that may provide some space for them to bread. I imagine that you would have to add copepods often or get one the eats frozen as well. Hope I helped!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure some might have success, but in my case, sadly, it was a fail. It takes about 3 weeks to harvest pods from smaller containers, its just not fast enough to keep up with its appetite. (I used 3 x 1 gallon cntrs)

I failed with a year old 32 gallon tank, it took about 4-5 months for it to finally starve, it was such a stressful effort to have such an unhappy ending. It was miserable for me and the fish, I'll never try it again.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure some might have success, but in my case, sadly, it was a fail. It takes about 3 weeks to harvest pods from smaller containers, its just not fast enough to keep up with its appetite. (I used 3 x 1 gallon cntrs)

I failed with a year old 32 gallon tank, it took about 4-5 months for it to finally starve, it was such a stressful effort to have such an unhappy ending. It was miserable for me and the fish, I'll never try it again.
Oh no sorry to hear that. I think that's enough info for me to realize I would not be giving that fish a good life especially since my aquarium is half the size yours was.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t answer that particular question but I would recommend a baby brine feeder. Their yolk sacs are very nutritious and all you need is a baby brine hatchery to hatch thousands every couple days. You inject them into a tube into this and they stay in there. The mandarin then sucks them through the screen. Google Paul B baby brine feeder. Here is one already made and being sold.

Attachments

• IMG_1131.png
    IMG_1131.png
    267.5 KB · Views: 94

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I cant speak for a full size mandarin but with a small captive bred biota mandarin, its possible. It does require work and special feeding. I have a pod hotel in it and feed it reefnutrition liquid pods (arcti and pacpods). two to three times a day. Check out my build thread for the eshop deskmate

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not picky, just secretive and prefer to stay in the shadows. One of mine is maybe 8 or 10 years old so far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back