Mandarin goby fin discoloration

Matt Bravo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 11, 2022
Messages
774
Reaction score
377
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I need some help with my mandarin goby. Find attached a video of him with a few fins that seem to be transparent/white. Any reason for this? If someone can diagnose this as well as help with treatment I would greatly appreciate that

There have been no new additions, as well as no bullying as far as I’ve seen, I’ve heard they can damage their fins on rock work but I just want to be sure on what I could do. This little guy will eat both Mysis and brine so I have been shutting flow off to give him time to eat. I’ve read that it could be a nutritional kind of problem so I ordered some vita chem which I plan to mix into their diet.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0676.mov
    33.6 MB
Hello everyone, I need some help with my mandarin goby. Find attached a video of him with a few fins that seem to be transparent/white. Any reason for this? If someone can diagnose this as well as help with treatment I would greatly appreciate that

There have been no new additions, as well as no bullying as far as I’ve seen, I’ve heard they can damage their fins on rock work but I just want to be sure on what I could do. This little guy will eat both Mysis and brine so I have been shutting flow off to give him time to eat. I’ve read that it could be a nutritional kind of problem so I ordered some vita chem which I plan to mix into their diet.
This is evidence of tail nipping from a tank maye and not rot. Someone is doing this , Not in your presence and will restore if left alone. Fish are on their best behavior when you are around. Next time you go to feed, set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know you're there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be
 
I appreciate the advice, I’ll try this later tonight and update you guys with any information. Thanks
 
I just fed, after reviewing the video I can’t see anything bothering/nipping the mandarin. I’m going to assume they decided to be on their best behavior tonight and keep trying to find something as the week goes by. I’ll keep this updated
 
Update: day 3 of reviewing footage and can’t find any aggression. I began adding vitachem into their diet as well in hopes that vitamins will boost his immune system. He doesn’t act lethargic and is active all day so whatever this is has not taken a huge toll on him yet, but I do want to stop it before it’s too late
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new