Mandarin Issue

Pinkfrost001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a mandarin and he’s been in the tank about 2 weeks. The tank is 125 gal mixed reef with 2 clowns, 1 firefish, 1 tailspot blenny, 3 lyretail anthias, 1 Pygmy filefish and CUC (hermits, snails, emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp and 2 stars.

I didn’t see the mandarin this morning but as I was helping my son with homework, I noticed a dark spot on top of my Cynarina. Upon closer inspection, it was starting to close on the mandarin! I managed to free him, he is still alive and he is in QT. I am not sure what happened but his tail fin is almost completely gone and dorsal fin is shredded too.

I’ve only noticed a hermit grab him one time - no issues with my other fish. Is it possible one of the hermits is responsible for the damage? Any ideas on how to fix the situation? I have an area where I could add more rock and create new territory - would that help?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a mandarin and he’s been in the tank about 2 weeks. The tank is 125 gal mixed reef with 2 clowns, 1 firefish, 1 tailspot blenny, 3 lyretail anthias, 1 Pygmy filefish and CUC (hermits, snails, emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp and 2 stars.

I didn’t see the mandarin this morning but as I was helping my son with homework, I noticed a dark spot on top of my Cynarina. Upon closer inspection, it was starting to close on the mandarin! I managed to free him, he is still alive and he is in QT. I am not sure what happened but his tail fin is almost completely gone and dorsal fin is shredded too.

I’ve only noticed a hermit grab him one time - no issues with my other fish. Is it possible one of the hermits is responsible for the damage? Any ideas on how to fix the situation? I have an area where I could add more rock and create new territory - would that help?
What type of hermits?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back