Mandarin pregnant?

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came back from vacation and my female mandarin has a really big belly. Do y'all think she could be pregnant?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4f2bb4cdf1f4ffcd42c6bfd9c56cb800.jpg

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes looks just like mine
You will see them doing a midwater colomn “dance” when they spawn very cool

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I missed it. The very next morning her belly was back to normal. Do they spawn at night usually? I have learned the word should have been gravid not pregnant lol

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I really want to see it next time how often do urs spawn?

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nice to see a happy healthy THRIVING mandarin. Good job @Tsev03

Thank u but my male doesn't look so healthy. About 2 months ago he started loosing weight. I upped my pod orders. I have a subscription. I have spent over $200 more on pods since then and Josh Avila from pod your Reef even sent free ones along with some of my orders. I've tried other foods like blood worms someone suggested and masstick and fish eggs. But he still looks too thin to me. I see many pods in my filter socks every time I change them so there r lots in there. I trade rocks from my sump to my tank every few days. My female is very healthy. I'm stumped and not sure what to do. Sorry for going on and on. I just worry a lot about him.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u but my male doesn't look so healthy. About 2 months ago he started loosing weight. I upped my pod orders. I have a subscription. I have spent over $200 more on pods since then and Josh Avila from pod your Reef even sent free ones along with some of my orders. I've tried other foods like blood worms someone suggested and masstick and fish eggs. But he still looks too thin to me. I see many pods in my filter socks every time I change them so there r lots in there. I trade rocks from my sump to my tank every few days. My female is very healthy. I'm stumped and not sure what to do. Sorry for going on and on. I just worry a lot about him.
What size tank/sump and does the female look to be at a healthier weight than the male when not pregnant? Have you tried nutramar ova? It's basically fish crack. I know you said fish eggs but nutramar ova is small prawn eggs. Also, look up PaulBs live baby brine shrimp feeder. You basically constantly hatch live baby brine shrimp in a device within the tank (way more nutritious than normal brine because they still have egg sack attached). Easier than it sounds once you make the device.

He could also have internal parasites but since mandarins have to eat non stop they starve frequently and it's harder to tell since you can't really observe how much they are eating all day. Other fish you can see they are eating just the same but losing weight etc. Have you seen any white stringy poop?

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 tank with 40 sump. I've had the male for almost 2 years. The female is a very healthy size when she is not huge. Lol I have not tried nutramar ova but I definitely will try it. I have not tried the baby brine shrimp feeder. I tried Paul's mandarin feeding station but I couldn't get them to eat from it. I'm willing to try anything at this point. He is not like those pictures u see one Facebook with people asking for help and the mandarin is close to death. But he is not the size he was a few months ago

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back