Mandarin stuck

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a bunch of marco rock any my new 1 inch mandarin just went head first into the rock. I'm scared it's stuck and I have to use a hammer. The green stick is the opening to the cave and it goes in about a inch and is about 1.5 cm wide in the separate tube. Will it be ok?

16211422842775122822045741604378.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry. I especially wouldn't go the hammer route.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How new is he? He may just be hiding while he gets used to his new surroundings. Fish are usually pretty good at not getting stuck unless there is something wrong or they’re being pushed into that area. Did anything happen before he went into the rocks?

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue black dot is it. Its facing forwards but won't come out

Attachments

• 16211431157584487000217473560303.jpg
    16211431157584487000217473560303.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 16211431907325103724888975713381.jpg
    16211431907325103724888975713381.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 53

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I honestly don't know but my gut says give him over night to come out.

If he is stuck...

That looks like a tight fit so I'm not sure smashing with a hammer will be good.

Maybe coax with a pipet or small artists paintbrush.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope. Got it today and saw it eat a pod. It was hiding outside the cave and it just went head first. I see it giving me a look that says "good luck getting me out" that dark spot is fish
I would turn the lights out & give him the night to check the place out. I bet he’ll come back out and be a little more social after a few days. He may very well have just found a place where he feels secure.
It’s great that you saw him eat something before he hid though.
I hope that he’s out & about in the morning! Best of luck with your little guy!
Edit: it’s probably also a plus that although he went into the hole head first, he’s now looking back out at you. That tells me that he can turn around in there so he can probably come back out. I feel the same exact way as you when I add a new fish though - I want to make sure they’re safe & happy in their new home and I can watch them forever. :)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the Mandarin alone. He'll come out when he or she is ready and not terrified of you or your stick.

Any fish on first day, if not first week will hide.

I've never heard of a fish stuck in a cave. Maybe sucked into a pump, but not a cave they went into on their own.

Give the fish some time to feel safe. Madarins are generally not that afraid of people after they get used to their surroundings.

He'll come out and probably stay out shortly. Poking with a stick will delay things.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the Mandarin alone. He'll come out when he or she is ready and not terrified of you or your stick.

I've never heard of a fish stuck in a cave. Maybe sucked into a pump, but not a cave they went into on their own.

Give the fish some time to feel safe. Madarins are generally not that afraid of people after they get used to their surroundings.

He'll come out and probably stay out shortly. Poking with a stick will delay things.
I agree. Even though you’re concerned and trying to help him you’ll only stress him out more if you try to remove him. Give him some time to settle in.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I just want to make sure it does not die since this is my first big purchase for saltwater fish apart from my clown pair. Cost me 130 bucks and I don't have a job so this was definitely a investment
Please update this thread when he comes out.

I know you are stressed hoping your mandarin does well. I know how you feel since I've owned and taken care of a Mandarin in the past. Beautiful peaceful fish. Stunning to watch when they hover around your tank.

Notice my avatar. That's my prized Madarin that I took care of for years.
I lost him in a freak accident. I'll spare you the details but he got accidentally (my fault) sucked into a pump. I could have saved him had I noticed, but by the time I noticed he was dead.

I really hope your Mandarin fish is just snuggled up in the cave and scared while adjusting to his new home.
I will bet that he's not stuck, and will take a day or two to come out.
Yes there is a possibility he isn't doing well, and that could be a reason he isn't coming out. That's a risk with any new fish going into a new tank. Especially non hardy fish. Nothing you can do in that case, except wait for him to get better and then come out.

Once he comes out, you'll have a totally different worry for him to survive long term. Read up on taking care of a Mandarin since they generally don't eat fish food of any sort. They usually only eat live food and that means you need plenty of living copepods in you tank, which he will hunt and eat all day long. A continous supply of live food comes naturually from a well aged tank. You can also add live copepods by either buying some in bottles or starting up a copepod farm to breed your own pods and add to your tank (which is what I did for years. It's easy).

If you're is one of those captive bred madarin that eat pellets or dry food then then having copepods may not be an issue for you.

At this point I'm rooting for your Madarin to come out for you to enjoy.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new fish hiding is perfectly normal. He likely isn’t stuck as fish don’t just get stuck unless a rock falls on them and trying to chisel it open may kill him.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update this thread when he comes out.

I know you are stressed hoping your mandarin does well. I know how you feel since I've owned and taken care of a Mandarin in the past. Beautiful peaceful fish. Stunning to watch when they hover around your tank.

Notice my avatar. That's my prized Madarin that I took care of for years.
I lost him in a freak accident. I'll spare you the details but he got accidentally (my fault) sucked into a pump. I could have saved him had I noticed, but by the time I noticed he was dead.

I really hope your Mandarin fish is just snuggled up in the cave and scared while adjusting to his new home.
I will bet that he's not stuck, and will take a day or two to come out.
Yes there is a possibility he isn't doing well, and that could be a reason he isn't coming out. That's a risk with any new fish going into a new tank. Especially non hardy fish. Nothing you can do in that case, except wait for him to get better and then come out.

Once he comes out, you'll have a totally different worry for him to survive long term. Read up on taking care of a Mandarin since they generally don't eat fish food of any sort. They usually only eat live food and that means you need plenty of living copepods in you tank, which he will hunt and eat all day long. A continous supply of live food comes naturually from a well aged tank. You can also add live copepods by either buying some in bottles or starting up a copepod farm to breed your own pods and add to your tank (which is what I did for years. It's easy).

If you're is one of those captive bred madarin that eat pellets or dry food then then having copepods may not be an issue for you.

At this point I'm rooting for your Madarin to come out for you to enjoy.
he has come out but will only stayed confined to 1 spot

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not to discredit what you are saying but this is exactly how one of our mandarins died.

Got spooked and went head first into a small hole and got stuck.

OP I'm glad it came out ;)

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh not working. He is eating pellets now so I’m gonna leave it now

eating pellets is a good sign! Mine would only eat live food so I had to supplement my pod population...she wiped them out quickly lol. Please keep us updated, hoping that he’s gotten settled in and is feeling more comfortable in his surroundings.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back