MANDARINS- ANYONE HAVE SUCCESS WITH THEM

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm trying to learn more and more about them...I know they are considered difficult to keep but they are beautiful to me...also WHICH TYPE OF PODS ARE BEST FOR THEM.... thanks in advance

If you can please share some pics of them and your pod set up.... no worries though

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing to remember with these things is they need an established tank with a very healthy population of pods. Even after that I would suggest adding to the pod population every few months to be safe. I usually dose Tigger pods because my lfs stocks them and it's easy to get

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had mine for 16 months in a 30 coulmn not to many pods in my tank I feed green brine n small mysis im overstocked I have two clowns ,purple firefish goby ,diamond goby ,green chromis ,blue damsel ,fire shrimp ,coral banded shrimp,tuxedo urchin so theres no chance pods will thrive at first theayre pickey eaters but will come around I target feed corals then feed the fish every other day n hes doin good ill post pics later my battery is dying good luck

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search mandarin in the forum here many great threads. And lots of info. You can look back in my posts a few months.

One called. Can I get a mandarin.
We busted that kid up. Gave him every piece of info available and blew away the naysayers. His mandarin is a few months old and doing well.
Also visit Melevs reefs. He is where I got my original info 6 years ago.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very easy to keep one of the lowest maintenance easy fish I've ever had. Here are directions for keeping a mandarin. 1) check that your tank is at least 20 gallons, 2) ensure that it has a refugium, 3) get a magnifying glass and see if bugs are crawling on the sides of your tank. If the answer to those 3 questions is yes then thats all you need is to decide which one to buy.

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send my some pics of yours if you don't mind... you can private message them if you like....thank you in advance..

Ive had mine for 16 months in a 30 coulmn not to many pods in my tank I feed green brine n small mysis im overstocked I have two clowns ,purple firefish goby ,diamond goby ,green chromis ,blue damsel ,fire shrimp ,coral banded shrimp,tuxedo urchin so theres no chance pods will thrive at first theayre pickey eaters but will come around I target feed corals then feed the fish every other day n hes doin good ill post pics later my battery is dying good luck

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of mine look like mandarins. The female is smaller as she's never been a strong eater for the year we've had her. The male is fat and eats like a pig. Had them both a year. I think she has always been sickly. She's picked up actuall this month. Finally interested in live brine.
I'll try for a pic too
I prefer to look at Paul B mandarins. For reference He has video. They spawn almost every night.
Look him up here.

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying useing a galaxy s 2
1456203398837.jpg

20151104_184603.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I currently have mine residing in a incomming frag tank for 3 years, its a 30 gallon and yes they eat a serious amount of pods. If you want to save money have your lfs toss you some macro/chaeto once a month to shake off in your tank. Also i got mine to eat live brine witch then quickly turned into frozen brine and now mysis/lrs. Take the plung if your interested, theyre so peacefull!!

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a great addition to a tank. You need a good pod population. I also have 2 wrasse in my tank. So I culture pods. Not hard at all. But an extra thing to do. I always have a culture of phyto going cause it got expensive feeding phyto. Once started no cost at all to keep going.
2c987cbb963ef43f602a76fc2af72654.jpg

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for a year or two and doing great. I have a large well established tank so I assume my pod population is reasonably stable even though I also have lots of wrasses. It's a beautiful fish

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mandarins naturally prefer TISBE copepods, however they will also eat Tigriopus copepods as well. Live copepods are the best choice of diet for a healthy and happy mandarin, just ask Mojo ^^

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have started a 43gal reef tank to show everyone exactly how to keep a mandarin... or four! The tank is cycled and the mandarins are going to be introduced in our next video. Check out our YouTube channel here: http://tinyurl.com/algaebarnTV

Virtualbasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my mandarin for about 3 months and I have never added pods ( they came on live rock) but I do add plankton to my refugium.

Rasengan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tisbe are benthic so they will stick to your rocks, glass, and substrate where they graze for algae. Tigger pods, i have no idea how any of you are keeping them as they are palegic, swim in the water column, and will immediately get sucked into your overflow and right into your filter socks and skimmer. Sure mandarins will eat them if they can catch them in the water column before the overflow does.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back