MANDARINS- ANYONE HAVE SUCCESS WITH THEM

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for aBout a year now. After 6 months I started training him to eat frozen foods. Took a lot of time spent with him but when he ate that first frozen mysis it was so exciting. I've had a lot of people at my lfs say its pretty remarkable that it's happened. But it has been done and I have proof as im sure a few people on here do too

Buskyboy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a pair of mandarins that were spawning in my previous tank. I normally tell people that they need about a 6 month pod population to get them started. In that time period I start offering live brine (I turn all the pumps off, feed the fish, then spot feed the mandarins). Once they are eatting the live brine I start mixing frozen brine. Once they are eatting frozen it's fairly easy to get them to eat PE Mysis. It's also best to feed them a couple times a day when first starting becuase adult live brine lack proper nutrition.

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my red mandarin for 7 months. Rescued him from a LFS, probably a day or 2 before he was going to die. He was clearly starving, severely shrunken belly with the strong "arrow" body shape. Put him into my 24 gallon that had a very healthy pod population, pods so thick on the glass it looked cloudy. Well, he decimated those in 2 days. Fortunately, I had my culture started. I culture phyto and tisbe. Both are very easy to get going and maintain. Also used Algae Barn until my culture was strong enough to support him.
uploadfromtaptalk1456268262647.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1456268287043.jpg

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a great addition to a tank. You need a good pod population. I also have 2 wrasse in my tank. So I culture pods. Not hard at all. But an extra thing to do. I always have a culture of phyto going cause it got expensive feeding phyto. Once started no cost at all to keep going.
2c987cbb963ef43f602a76fc2af72654.jpg
WOW WHAT A BEAUTY

Crystalsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, ive had mine for about 9 months now. He is doing great. When i bought him i started adding tisbe (i think this was the brand) i was getting a 12oz bottle once a month and just dumped the whole bottle for about 3 months. Then, i went about 4 months and added another, and well, thats been it. Once a week i break out the night light to make sure there are still rodifers crawling about. Still a good amount in there. But i was doing my regular frozen mysis feeding of the tank and saw my manderain eating that too. He is beautiful. Im looking for him a mate.
I have a mixed reef that consist of 2 black damselfish, 2 blue chromis, a firefish, a yellow tang, a boxer (coral banded) shrimp, 1 lawnmower blenny, 2 clowns, 2 pajama cardinals, 3 cling fish, a tube anemone, and a mix of corals, snails, a fighting conch, and hermit crabs, oh and my raggid seahare. The only thing besides my maderian that hunts the pods seems to be the coral banded shrimp (he also hunts bristle worms)
IMG_20160115_193115.jpg

Last edited:

Crystalsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mojo... chunky & healthy!! I've fed him AlgaeBarn pods since Day 1. I also have a prodiminate wrasse tank.
2016-01-06 13.53.28.jpg
I think you got a girl. I know with the variety i have, the males have thread like part on the dorsal fin. The female has a flatter one.

Crystalsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW VERY BEAUTY..... AND TISBE ONE STRAIN OF COPEPOD. THEY ARE SMALLER BUT MULTIPLY QUICKER FROM MY UNDERSTANDING.
Oh. I couldnt remember. I know i was getting them at a decent price, and then the price went double, so i just started monitoring to make sure i had a good population going on. They are all throughout my rockwork and sand bed. He is my favorite fish.

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my red mandarin for 7 months. Rescued him from a LFS, probably a day or 2 before he was going to die. He was clearly starving, severely shrunken belly with the strong "arrow" body shape. Put him into my 24 gallon that had a very healthy pod population, pods so thick on the glass it looked cloudy. Well, he decimated those in 2 days. Fortunately, I had my culture started. I culture phyto and tisbe. Both are very easy to get going and maintain. Also used Algae Barn until my culture was strong enough to support him.

POOR FELLA.... WELL AT LEAST HIM OR SHE IS GETTING A BUFFET NOW. GOOD LUCK WITH HIM.

Crystalsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

She is beautiful. I wish i could find a girl. Around here, everyone only has boys.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a 100g tisbe culture could sustain a mandarin? Also would they eat flat worms?

Crystalsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for aBout a year now. After 6 months I started training him to eat frozen foods. Took a lot of time spent with him but when he ate that first frozen mysis it was so exciting. I've had a lot of people at my lfs say its pretty remarkable that it's happened. But it has been done and I have proof as im sure a few people on here do too
Mine just started on his own. He still hunts pods, but seems to like the frozen also.

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY RJL45, I WAS WONDERING WHY YOU HAVE THREE BOTTLES OF THE PHYTO? I USE ONE. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS A BETTER BENEFIT TO HAVING MORE THAN ONE BOTTLE?

OP
OP
dark waters

dark waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back