Mandy pair separated

  • Thread starter Thread starter DmitryB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,252
Reaction score
969
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so I got a paired Mandarin couple from Biota - and yes, they are teeny. I wasn't as careful as I should have been when I placed them into the tank (a 170 gallon, so huge for them.) And the flow separated them! Now I'm worried! I saw one for a while, all alone. No idea where the second one is, somewhere behind the rocks. I do hope they find each other soon! This is stressing me out!!!
 
I didnt see my ora mandy for the first month and very sparsely until about a year old. If the pods are there they should do wonderful for you.
 
I didnt see my ora mandy for the first month and very sparsely until about a year old. If the pods are there they should do wonderful for you.
I've started culturing pods and have a refugium going. So hopefully that'll be good. (Plus since these were aquacultured they should take prepared foods as well.)
 
The stress is only on you. They will be fine as long as there is food for them in the tank( pods)
If and when they find each other they will make the attempt to stay together if they want to.
 
Update because I know everyone is worried, I saw them again together, after lights out.

I asked Biota a bit more and they said Madarins have a smelly slimy coat which they use to find one another. Now I just need to see them eat; these are tank-bred so they eat prepared foods, but since they're hiding during the day, they must be eating pods and scavenging for leftovers.
 
Update because I know everyone is worried, I saw them again together, after lights out.

I asked Biota a bit more and they said Madarins have a smelly slimy coat which they use to find one another. Now I just need to see them eat; these are tank-bred so they eat prepared foods, but since they're hiding during the day, they must be eating pods and scavenging for leftovers.
I might consider buy a pod package from one R2R's sponsors.
There are a few to pick from.
 
I might consider buy a pod package from one R2R's sponsors.
There are a few to pick from.
Yeah I started culturing pods at home, but it's too soon to be making enough at this point.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new