Manganese supplement for Goniopora?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose what's in red sea trace elements a, b, c , d once a week. In a 340 gallon tank and have 4 colonies of goni doing amazing two colonies are almost 5 inch balls with long tentacles! I wouldn't worry so much about exact numbers. Dose some amount per week and evaluate things. Observe.

Terrapod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, 2 ug/L seems high to me. Manganese is also rapidly depleted.

If you try to split that dosing over many days you may never reach the target.

If you dose 1.5 ug/L all at once, then in a week it may be back to undetectable.

If I were to dose manganese, which is a reasonable plan, I'd personally dose about 100 ng/mL per day and then get an ICP test after a couple of weeks of dosing.

Will try and work that out!

Terrapod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose what's in red sea trace elements a, b, c , d once a week. In a 340 gallon tank and have 4 colonies of goni doing amazing two colonies are almost 5 inch balls with long tentacles! I wouldn't worry so much about exact numbers. Dose some amount per week and evaluate things. Observe.
The point is I am not spending money on rodi from red sea, so trying to dial in as best possible by buying mineral salts.

Terrapod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, 2 ug/L seems high to me. Manganese is also rapidly depleted.

If you try to split that dosing over many days you may never reach the target.

If you dose 1.5 ug/L all at once, then in a week it may be back to undetectable.

If I were to dose manganese, which is a reasonable plan, I'd personally dose about 100 ng/mL per day and then get an ICP test after a couple of weeks of dosing.
I assume you mean Ng/L and not Ng/ml?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean Ng/L and not Ng/ml?

Sorry, yes, I fixed it. We use ng/mL for drug in blood concentrations at work, so that's what gets typed reflexively.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant that chasing numbers especially nano numbers is a bit difficult. I can't keep elegance alive to save my soul. I don't know what's wrong with my water. Would I do what you're doing to have one, probably not. There's so much that impacts water chemistry that we cannot control everything. We can manage things. But you're talking about pure control of specific elements.

I do not use water changes to manage trace elements. I simply dose them based on the bottle and dose 1-2 times a week. If things lose color or look a little droopy I'll dose more. But so far, this has worked for me.

As Randy indicated, algae consumes a lot of the trace elements. Whether it's algae on the rocks, in a scrubber, or in a refugium, there's algae in our tanks that consume minerals in much larger quantities than we dose.

I do maybe a water change every 6 months. If that. I do an ICP test once a year to check things. The result is always come back with some trace elements below normal and the rest normal.

I keep the corals I want alive with my current practices. My point is worry less about the actual numbers and more about how to make sure the animals are fed!

Terrapod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant that chasing numbers especially nano numbers is a bit difficult. I can't keep elegance alive to save my soul. I don't know what's wrong with my water. Would I do what you're doing to have one, probably not. There's so much that impacts water chemistry that we cannot control everything. We can manage things. But you're talking about pure control of specific elements.

I do not use water changes to manage trace elements. I simply dose them based on the bottle and dose 1-2 times a week. If things lose color or look a little droopy I'll dose more. But so far, this has worked for me.

As Randy indicated, algae consumes a lot of the trace elements. Whether it's algae on the rocks, in a scrubber, or in a refugium, there's algae in our tanks that consume minerals in much larger quantities than we dose.

I do maybe a water change every 6 months. If that. I do an ICP test once a year to check things. The result is always come back with some trace elements below normal and the rest normal.

I keep the corals I want alive with my current practices. My point is worry less about the actual numbers and more about how to make sure the animals are fed!
My tank isn't a nano, nor have I ever had feeding issues.

My icps are strong with the exception of a few trace which need topping up.

I refuse to pay for branded reef supplements, due to their makeup and massive dilution making them very weak.

I don't see any issue with dialling in trace once a month to keep the tank in its best condition.

Dosing trace based on droopy corals is not likely to be trace, nor do I feel water changes once a year is a good approach but there are many ways to skin a cat!

Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back