Mangrove broken in two

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0729.jpeg

Mangrove broke while getting it out of the lfs tank, is there any way to recover it? Will the stalk sprout new leaves? Will the leaves form a new stem and root system? If they do, what is the best way to ensure that they will? Wet towels, keep broken off stem submerged in freshwater? Submerged in saltwater?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_0729.jpeg

Mangrove broke while getting it out of the lfs tank, is there any way to recover it? Will the stalk sprout new leaves? Will the leaves form a new stem and root system? If they do, what is the best way to ensure that they will? Wet towels, keep broken off stem submerged in freshwater? Submerged in saltwater?
I had this happen once and Did not make it from top portion but You have better roots than I did and I would leave it in the water and see if it comes back , but as you know- it takes time with Mangrove.

Dara E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mangrove snap that regrew after about 2 months. However there was a few nodes left on the main stem for a leaf to sprout out of. And I see yours doesn't have a node left except the "base node".

I have another one like yours and I think there is still potential for it to grow. So far it is not doing anything but the CUC keep knocking it over and disturbing the roots. I see the roots are growing. I think in time, it may sprout a new leaf from the" base node".

I would keep to where the node sits above the water and keep it under full spectrum light. And most importantly, don't disturb the roots. If it gets soft and wrinkly, I would toss it.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0729.jpeg

I'm pretty sure the leaves will just die. I wouldn't personally try and graft it, unless you have successful experience doing so. I had a mangrove lose the first two leaves and tip in shipping, and it regrew new leaves and a new tip after a couple months.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 61 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back