Mangrove Flowers?

DarthChaos

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 17, 2020
Messages
185
Reaction score
218
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a couple almost 8 yr old mangrove trees - that I got a few mths back.

They are the main filtration for my 190g reef system. This pic (from before I moved the system) - shows them in their full glory....with tons of leaves.

Has anyone ever seen mangroves sprout flowers - in a reef system?

Screenshot_20220723-122631_Gallery.jpg
 
Nice healthy mature trees there!

Did not know that they could flower.
 
Nice healthy mature trees there!

Did not know that they could flower.
Me either...till someone asked on a FB post.

Googled it and sure enough, I guess they can sprout little white flowers. I wonder if you simulated the seasons (shorter winter light - longer summer) - the mangroves would.

I guess it's a seasonal thing.
 
Me either...till someone asked on a FB post.

Googled it and sure enough, I guess they can sprout little white flowers. I wonder if you simulated the seasons (shorter winter light - longer summer) - the mangroves would.

I guess it's a seasonal thing.
If the mangrove's growing conditions are good enough, they can apparently flower within four years of sprouting. With your trees there (assuming they find their conditions to be good), I'd imagine you could trigger flowering by adjusting the length of light exposure (as you've mentioned) and/or temperature. With regular plants, the amount of water given could play a role too, but I have no idea if that would be a factor or not with mangroves. That said, some plants flower more readily under artificial lights than others, so you might not be able to get them flowering - I'm not sure with mangroves. It would be exciting to find out for sure though!
 
If the mangrove's growing conditions are good enough, they can apparently flower within four years of sprouting. With your trees there (assuming they find their conditions to be good), I'd imagine you could trigger flowering by adjusting the length of light exposure (as you've mentioned) and/or temperature. With regular plants, the amount of water given could play a role too, but I have no idea if that would be a factor or not with mangroves. That said, some plants flower more readily under artificial lights than others, so you might not be able to get them flowering - I'm not sure with mangroves. It would be exciting to find out for sure though!
Awesome info!!! Thank you.

I read mangroves flower in like spring/summer - so, it made sense to play with your lighting settings...to replicate nature.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new