Mangrove in a tall tank.

  • Thread starter Thread starter crazytai21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

crazytai21

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2024
Messages
41
Reaction score
36
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I got a few free mangrove from a buddy and was wondering how people plant them in a taller tank. My rock work tallest peak is about 7-8 inches below water line. I heard they need to be in substrate or at least touching rock work. I have a IM 112ex tank so there a 3 inch lip all the way around. Was going to but them in a mounted basket but that wouldn't work. Any advise would be very helpful.
 
I have a mangrove in my 50cm tall tank since the start of the tank, I printed a clamp to hang it on the edge of the glass with a rubber band, and it started out with its roots suspended in the air. It just grew a single long root to get to the substrate, and during the last two months it grew a second to get more footing. It also sprouted the first two branches this week so something is going well for it. I also seldom spray it with water. I started it out as a seedpod without leaves around 2.5 years ago.
20250302_191245.jpg
 
Upvote 0
That looks good. I have an issue with my tank having a 3" lip around the tank so I can't clip to the side or back wall. Are you adding extra lighting too it?
 
Upvote 0
Maybe someone in you area can print a bracket for you?
I have an E27 18W led grow light (sunshine color, contains 5 different kind of leds) from aliexpress above it.
 
Upvote 0
You can loosely attach it somewhere or use a temporary brace. Once it sends its roots to the rock work it will secure itself. Mine send roots all over the sump. My Black mangroves also send air roots to the water surface. That was what I use to loosely attach my Red Mangroves using a loose zip tie
 
Upvote 0
You can loosely attach it somewhere or use a temporary brace. Once it sends its roots to the rock work it will secure itself. Mine send roots all over the sump. My Black mangroves also send air roots to the water surface. That was what I use to loosely attach my Red Mangroves using a loose zip tie
I am not sure about this. The roots of mine grew very quickly. I think it has to do with how many leaves it has and how much light. Once there are leaves and good light, the plant can really gather energy and send shoot grow very quickly.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got my 5 today from algae barn I guess 4 but it’s currently in the sump. I’m trying to figure out the best way to put them close to the substrate. I saw someone completed submerge and the mangrove grew out of the water. Have any of you seen that before?? Also using chaeto gro mixed with tap water to spray the leaves a good or bad idea??
 
Upvote 0
Currently setup for temporary
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6460.jpeg
    IMG_6460.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6458.jpeg
    IMG_6458.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new