Manifold question

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
5,397
Reaction score
9,946
Location
Clarksville, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1" return line that reduces to 3/4" as it enters the tank. I would like to design a manifold to connect into this 1" return line so I can use my return pump to feed the manifold.

I'm thinking of using a UV sterilizer on this manifold, plus habe rim for other items as my tank matures.

Question...should the run off the return line be 1", 3/4", or 1/2"? I know i will more than likely reduce off the manifold with 1/2" attachments... just nit sure how big the main manifold line needs to be!
 
Water will go the path of least resistance, but if you're going to reduce to 1/2" (which is what I have on my manifold), I don't think it will matter. Smaller pipe and fittings will be less expensive, but if you already have a bunch of 1" or 3/4" pipes and fittings, just use those.
 
Water will go the path of least resistance, but if you're going to reduce to 1/2" (which is what I have on my manifold), I don't think it will matter. Smaller pipe and fittings will be less expensive, but if you already have a bunch of 1" or 3/4" pipes and fittings, just use those.
Thanks... i was trying to recall if it mattered. I thought i read somewhere to keep the line off the main return line to be smaller to help with head pressure or something like that. But, i can't find the thread or article discussing it!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new