Manifold (Separate from Return)

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some manifold layouts that include a UV sterilizer. Do you place the UV first?

I'm interested to see what has worked for you, and what you might change for someone setting up their first manifold.

Thanks!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this made sense, but see a lot of manifolds off of the return line.
Yes, but what you do not see is how the pressure changes effect the entire system and make it hard to balance.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but what you do not see is how the pressure changes effect the entire system and make it hard to balance.
A manifold is inherently hard to balance. Water exerts the same pressure Everywhere in the line, equally. Everything has to balance together, regardless of orientation.

Do you have a photo? I'm curious to see how you did it for reference.
I do

The valve center right is to the UV.
PXL_20220523_033126900.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A manifold is inherently hard to balance. Water exerts the same pressure Everywhere in the line, equally. Everything has to balance together, regardless of orientation.

I do

The valve center right is to the UV.
PXL_20220523_033126900.jpg
Do you run this off of a separate pump or off of the return?

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size pump do you use for your manifold? And thank you for the photo!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whe the flow/pressure changes on your maifold does it effect your system or is everything ok?
If I turned the pump up, everything would raise proportionally. If you shut off one line, pressure increases in the system and flow on the open lines goes up. It incentivizes me to not screw with things often.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I turned the pump up, everything would raise proportionally. If you shut off one line, pressure increases in the system and flow on the open lines goes up. It incentivizes me to not screw with things often.
So if you have a media in a canister on one outlet and it becomes restricted over time, that would change the pressure and flow throughout the manifold system. That would change the flow rate for the return and thus the overflow and cause noise. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have a media in a canister on one outlet and it becomes restricted over time, that would change the pressure and flow throughout the manifold system. That would change the flow rate for the return and thus the overflow and cause noise. Just playing devil's advocate here.
In Theory yes. The more things you're actually feeding off your manifold, the less it is impacted.

In practice, not really. Say the 150 gph flow through your media reactor is slowed to 100 by restriction. That 50 gph will spread through my other 5 lines equally affecting everything proportionally and spreading the effect.

GFO I think is easiest to see changes with as the perfect setting Has the very top barely rippling. If you add a little bit more water, you're at a full boil, less and there's no movement.

I run two GFO canisters in line, And never need to screw with things so long as the main valves aren't messed with.

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mines pretty much the same. I use a oversized dc pump. Bought screw in attachments to plumb any size I needed. So I had UV, Chiller, reactor, extra line that you can’t see going back into sump to stir up anything in the sump. And I had a extra line just in case I wanted to add more( but I used that to empty water for water changes)

Attachments

• 793A1C4E-AF07-41D8-AFD7-7C11395C54C6.jpeg
    793A1C4E-AF07-41D8-AFD7-7C11395C54C6.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mines pretty much the same. I use a oversized dc pump. Bought screw in attachments to plumb any size I needed. So I had UV, Chiller, reactor, extra line that you can’t see going back into sump to stir up anything in the sump. And I had a extra line just in case I wanted to add more( but I used that to empty water for water changes)
Thanks for the photo!!
Where did you pickup your gate valves from? Curious as they seem so spendy online! Haha

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back