Manny's 300 Gallon Reef

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tha l yo

Thank you. I was devastated for sure and ready to throw in the towel. @West1 encouraged me to keep my head up. Then the insurance called and said they were covering everything. So, now I’ve got a Red sea reefer 750 sitting at my LFS waiting for me.

The 750 arrived already?? WOW, did Josh buy with Amazon Prime Lol

Nice to see you stayed in the game. You went from a Ford Fiesta to a Bentley overnight Lol (well maybe a Ford excursion since the 300 was bigger than the 750).

what’s up Jevron @ID-Reefer
How’s your tank looking? I’m sure it’s stunning by now!

Last edited:

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad you have a new tank... Enjoy! Ive been happy with my Reefer 900.

@West1
Tank is coming along. Had some issues and lost several Acros about 5 months ago but things have been going well since then.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New build thread over here

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I've been stalking the forum non-stop for the last two months or so. I haven't really had time to do a build thread but I figured that if I wanted to take you all on a journey with me, it would be best to make time for the build thread now. I am still very much in the planning phase and this is where your input is most valuable to me. That being said, let's do this.

Much of the equipment is used as I stumbled upon the perfect deal on the Facebook Marketplace. I planned on having a new tank made in June of 2021 but the deal was right so here we are.

Budget: $10k - but lets be real. This number is only a wife pleaser. When I first started in the hobby, I used to buy my wife new Coach purses so she would turn the blind eye. Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade to purchasing LV purses as this build is so much bigger.
Budget used: $ I stopped counting already as it was getting depressing.

Equipment I have so far -
Tank (used): Marineland 72 x 36 x 27 with dual corner overflows
Stand: Custom made stand by previous owner.
Sump: Eschopps ADV 300
Flow: 2 Maxspect Gyres XF350 & 2 EcoTech MP40s
Return Pumps: Maxspect DC 10K Controllabe Pump 2642 GPH & Jecod 100W Controllable Pump (used came with tank)
Controller: GHL Profilux 4 (used. purchased from local R2R member)
Lights: 3 Kessil A360X. Will be adding the aquatic life T5/LED combo soon.
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 150 INT (Used came with purchase)
ATO: Tunze Osmolator
Filtration: Klir DI-7 Drop in Fleecer Roller (reviews point to this unit having a cheap motor that can't keep up with the saturated fleece. If this works out for me then I'll add another one. If it doesn't, I will replace with a different roller unit)
UV: Sunsun CUV - 136 (brand new came with purchase. not sure if I will use this unit or not. Seems kind of cheap. Anyone here have positive experience with this?)
Reactors: MR1 Next Reef (given to me by local R2R member) and Phosban 550 biopellet reactor (used came with purchase) not sure I will use this
Doser: Jebao DP-4 Dosing pump (new in box; came with purchase) probably won't use this. Looking at using GHL dosers.

Wish List:
AquaticLife 61" Hybrid
Avast Marine Kalk Stirrer
KH Director (for when Kalk stirrer won't suffice anymore)
GHL power strips
Controller cabinet from Adaptive Reef

This is going to be a slow build. There are lot of steps necessary to get my home and tank ready for install. My two living rooms have carpet. I will not be putting an aquarium on carpet. The layout of my house will require our entire bottom floor to be redone with new flooring. The custom stand requires rework. While I definitely appreciate the previous owner's craftsmanship, the stand and canopy simply will not go with the modern look of my home. I may still use the same stand after wrapping it and painting it black. We shall see.
I don't have room inside the house for a fish room but behind the wall where my aquarium is going, externally I have a gravel filled area that I where I want to install an outside shed. Ideally, I would like to insulate, plumb, and add electricity to the shed and use this as an external fish room. Open to suggestions. Not sure if anyone on here has done this or not.
Going to hire an electrician to come out here and add a few more wall outlets. Have to get under my home and check whether or not I have to reinforce my floors. You all know the rest.

Pics to come once I figure out how to insert them.

I also have a Marineland 300G. I'm wondering if you like the coverage you are getting from the Kessil A360X lights? I'm finding my AI's don't have much spread the back and front of the tank are dark, especially the higher up you go.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also have a Marineland 300G. I'm wondering if you like the coverage you are getting from the Kessil A360X lights? I'm finding my AI's don't have much spread the back and front of the tank are dark, especially the higher up you go.
This tank has been shut down for a year now. It sprung a leak. I’ve got a Red Sea 750xxl v3 up and running. The kessil coverage was decent because I was running two t5 bulbs on each side. It would have required another 2 or 3 Kessils to have adequate coverage side to side. I have 5 over my tank right now although it is smaller than the 300.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to reinforce my floors on my own in my crawlspace. If you get a couple buddies I'm sure you can do it as well as long as you have the material ready. I used 2 4x6x8 and 4 jack posts so I'm sure that part of the floor is never going anywhere.
Do you think it is possible to do something like this to re-enforce the stand and make the weight-bearing sides wider to accept a wider sump like a Synergy Reef CL44.4 that is 44*18*18?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back