Manny's Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a rimless tank there can be no gap whatsoever, it doesn’t matter how small. If the stand is made correctly there will be no gap.

Keep us posted:)
When you say no gap do you mean when the tank is empty or full? For instance if there’s a sheet of paper gap when empty, doesn’t it stand to reason that the pad and maybe the stand could settle a little bit with weight? Just trying to gauge whether I should mess with my leveling more or go forward with a test fill (1 sheet of paper can fit a few places but the tank is completely level empty).

Just ran across this thread; looks like 10 sheets of paper was enough to crack the bottom in just a few weeks filled:

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say no gap do you mean when the tank is empty or full? For instance if there’s a sheet of paper gap when empty, doesn’t it stand to reason that the pad and maybe the stand could settle a little bit with weight? Just trying to gauge whether I should mess with my leveling more or go forward with a test fill (1 sheet of paper can fit a few places but the tank is completely level empty).

Just ran across this thread; looks like 10 sheets of paper was enough to crack the bottom in just a few weeks filled:

not filled of course. The foam pad does no supporting othe tank, it’s there for minor imperfections, not leveling.

Using the OP issue as example, when the tank is empty there is a gap in front right corner. If the tank is fully filled, all that weight will compress down and the gap will disappear most likely, but that means the foam compressed everywhere to close the gap, there is still no support in that corner, foam does not support the tank, the stand does. Top of stand must be completely flat, level can be fixed with shims, leveling feet ect, flat cannot be fixed without stand modification.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not filled of course. The foam pad does no supporting othe tank, it’s there for minor imperfections, not leveling.

Using the OP issue as example, when the tank is empty there is a gap in front right corner. If the tank is fully filled, all that weight will compress down and the gap will disappear most likely, but that means the foam compressed everywhere to close the gap, there is still no support in that corner, foam does not support the tank, the stand does. Top of stand must be completely flat, level can be fixed with shims, leveling feet ect, flat cannot be fixed without stand modification.
Good points, but what if the gap is really really small like one sheet of paper (not 6 or 10)? Surly the foam could compress in other areas by such a small amount and leave the gap area to lie on the stand, no? I’m just skeptical of my ability to correct the stand to the point that not a single sheet of paper will fit at any point. As soon as I adjust 1 foot it ends up throwing off a bunch of other feet, and I adjust those and then the first foot is off again.

Edit: I just removed the center brace and that was causing most of my problems, must have made it too tight. With the brace out, below is the furthest I can barely fit a piece of paper in. Is this gap OK for instance, or do I need to take the sump and bottom out to work on this corner in your opinion? Basically no paper gap anywhere else on the tank now.
A534725B-EB72-4DE5-856C-D293E11BFD1E.jpeg

9C300870-4AE8-4C6D-8AC1-980BAAD82E81.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No resolution thus far. Lots of finger pointing going on at the moment. RS claims everything should be alright. That I should tinker more with the leveling legs because more likely than not the LFS didn't set it up right. LFS guys say "Forget that. Make them send you a brand new one." Me, I'm stuck in the middle losing my patience. The baby is fast approaching and my living room is occupied with gear boxes and an empty tank.

This was supposed to be a dream build. It's been nothing but a nightmare.

Last edited:

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No resolution thus far. Lots of finger pointing going on at the moment. RS claims everything should be alright. That I should tinker more with the leveling legs because more likely than not the LFS didn't set it up right. LFS guys say "F* that. Make them send you a brand new one." Me, I'm stuck in the middle losing my patience. The baby is fast approaching and my living room is occupied with gear boxes and an empty tank.

This was supposed to be a dream build. It's been nothing but a nightmare.
Yikes! I played with my leveling this weekend and was able to take up much of the gap I had (much more like 3 sheets of paper in some places). For one thing I had the center brace too tight; just removing that, for me, made a world of difference. I ended up going with 3/4 full fresh water as a fill test. Hope things are looking up!

I do have a question: have you noticed the below metal brackets anywhere on your tank or during install? I can’t find them anywhere in the directions. They could have to do with packing but the fact that they’re metal and have 2 holes makes me suspect of why I have extra parts.
BD8207F4-DF05-4AFB-823E-ED1F4DA1C2F8.jpeg

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes! I played with my leveling this weekend and was able to take up much of the gap I had (much more like 3 sheets of paper in some places). For one thing I had the center brace too tight; just removing that, for me, made a world of difference. I ended up going with 3/4 full fresh water as a fill test. Hope things are looking up!

I do have a question: have you noticed the below metal brackets anywhere on your tank or during install? I can’t find them anywhere in the directions. They could have to do with packing but the fact that they’re metal and have 2 holes makes me suspect of why I have extra parts.
BD8207F4-DF05-4AFB-823E-ED1F4DA1C2F8.jpeg
Ha! I had this exact question for the LFS guy. I assumed they were for shipping purposes as I did not notice them anywhere in the book either. Its funny because they actually look like some for of light mount. Anyhow, the LFS owner says he's never noticed them and he's installed dozens of red sea reefers. Couldn't tell you. I think I'll ask on the RS FB page.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I had this exact question for the LFS guy. I assumed they were for shipping purposes as I did not notice them anywhere in the book either. Its funny because they actually look like some for of light mount. Anyhow, the LFS owner says he's never noticed them and he's installed dozens of red sea reefers. Couldn't tell you. I think I'll ask on the RS FB page.
Red Sea’s response:
“Thank you for your purchase. These are specially designed brackets to go with our light mounts when installed next to the center overflow box. You may save them or disregard them if you have no plan to use Red Sea's light mounts.”

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red Sea’s response:
“Thank you for your purchase. These are specially designed brackets to go with our light mounts when installed next to the center overflow box. You may save them or disregard them if you have no plan to use Red Sea's light mounts.”
Thanks. I was getting ready to send them an email. Nice to know I guess right on what they were.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've continued communicating with Red Sea about this issue. They wanted me to start over with the leveling legs. So I did. But I also noticed the tank was at an ever-so-slight angle on its stand. I contacted the LFS and they came out Sunday morning with suction cups. We took the tank down, readjusted, put it back up on the stand, and readjusted again. I sent pics to Red Sea and they gave the thumbs on filling it with water. It does still have a gap but the gap is about a 1/32" when empty. They state they are confident that the weight will evenly compress the tank into the foam padding, which should help provide an even cushion. Yes the aquarium is as level as its going to get. I really hope this works.

Fortunately, I've had my rock cycling for some time now. I've had half of it sitting in heated salt water in some mixing bins. I also have Dr. Tims to use along with a bio brick that has been in my friend's sump for two months now.

As for my bad news, I installed all my powerheads. I have two maxspect gyres XF350. One of them grips just fine while the other will not hold. They are rated for up to 3/4" glass which is what I have. However, it won't hold. Coralvue is sending out new exterior magnest. I don't think this will resolve the issue. I observe that its one of the two inside magnets on the pump that are not making contact. Carlos at Coralvue states that if the new magnets don't resolve the issue, to attach one on the inside to the pump and the attach the outside magnet. Ya probably not going to do that. Weird how one works and the other doesn't I don't want to have to purchase new pumps.

Lastly, my flipper max won't work either. It is rated for up to 1" but thats bologne. The only way to keep the magnets together is to go incredibly slow. So, I'm going to need a new scraper as well. I'll probably get one with a handle instead of the magnetic ones. Not sure yet.

Anyone got some good news for me? At least a funny joke?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've continued communicating with Red Sea about this issue. They wanted me to start over with the leveling legs. So I did. But I also noticed the tank was at an ever-so-slight angle on its stand. I contacted the LFS and they came out Sunday morning with suction cups. We took the tank down, readjusted, put it back up on the stand, and readjusted again. I sent pics to Red Sea and they gave the thumbs on filling it with water. It does still have a gap but the gap is about a 1/32" when empty. They state they are confident that the weight will evenly compress the tank into the foam padding, which should help provide an even cushion. Yes the aquarium is as level as its going to get. I really hope this works.

Fortunately, I've had my rock cycling for some time now. I've had half of it sitting in heated salt water in some mixing bins. I also have Dr. Tims to use along with a bio brick that has been in my friend's sump for two months now.

As for my bad news, I installed all my powerheads. I have two maxspect gyres XF350. One of them grips just fine while the other will not hold. They are rated for up to 3/4" glass which is what I have. However, it won't hold. Coralvue is sending out new exterior magnest. I don't think this will resolve the issue. I observe that its one of the two inside magnets on the pump that are not making contact. Carlos at Coralvue states that if the new magnets don't resolve the issue, to attach one on the inside to the pump and the attach the outside magnet. Ya probably not going to do that. Weird how one works and the other doesn't I don't want to have to purchase new pumps.

Lastly, my flipper max won't work either. It is rated for up to 1" but thats bologne. The only way to keep the magnets together is to go incredibly slow. So, I'm going to need a new scraper as well. I'll probably get one with a handle instead of the magnetic ones. Not sure yet.

What you using for lights?

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What you using for lights?
4 kessil a360x for now. Still undecided on fill lights but they’re not necessary yet. I think when the time comes I will go with either 3 Radion XR30 and 2 a360x or I will just add some reef Brite XHO. Not sure yet. Still a ways away.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good info here; I’ve been planning to purchase the Max scraper and need to use my $10 BRS coupon by 12/31. I guess I’ll have to find a different model.

I used my Neptune ATK during my FW fill (as a backup in case I forgot). I was really surprised the magnet barely grips; I wouldn’t trust a float valve with an attachment that weak. It doesn’t matter; the sump glass is a lot thinner and I’m just going to use the (backup) float that comes with the tank, mounted. However all of this is an important lesson I guess; we’re now in a smaller subset of reefers having a tank this big/thick, so we’ll have to be careful with magnet-based product purchases and reviews.

I just tried my Icecap 4K (cheaper maxspect) on my now empty tank. It holds, but the weight of the motor does make it sag a bit. I think it’s workable; the saltwater should provide just a little buoyancy and it’s possible to mount it vertically as well. If you have one that works fine and one that doesn’t, it sounds like a defective product, not the glass’s problem.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good info here; I’ve been planning to purchase the Max scraper and need to use my $10 BRS coupon by 12/31. I guess I’ll have to find a different model.

I used my Neptune ATK during my FW fill (as a backup in case I forgot). I was really surprised the magnet barely grips; I wouldn’t trust a float valve with an attachment that weak. It doesn’t matter; the sump glass is a lot thinner and I’m just going to use the (backup) float that comes with the tank, mounted. However all of this is an important lesson I guess; we’re now in a smaller subset of reefers having a tank this big/thick, so we’ll have to be careful with magnet-based product purchases and reviews.

I just tried my Icecap 4K (cheaper maxspect) on my now empty tank. It holds, but the weight of the motor does make it sag a bit. I think it’s workable; the saltwater should provide just a little buoyancy and it’s possible to mount it vertically as well. If you have one that works fine and one that doesn’t, it sounds like a defective product, not the glass’s problem.
Man that sucks to hear about the ATK. I was really intrigued by it but didn't purchased because I already had the Tunze Osmolator. So what I did was connect my osmolator pump to the float valve in the return chamber. I placed my sensors below the float so the osmolator will act as the primary ATO but in case it is ever stuck on, then the float valve will/should prevent the water from overflowing. Since it's fresh water being pushed through the float valve, I don't think salt creep should be an issue.

The icecap 4k are rated for smaller glass than the maxspect. I looked at those as well. The Red Sea gyres are rated for up to 3/4" as well as the maxspect. I agree that if one of mine grips and the other doesn't, it's an issue with the individual magnets, not the design. I think I'm going to ask coralvue to replace the pump since the magnet that appears to be defective is attached to the pump.

As for the flipper max, ya total let down. The thing was a beast on my 300 gallon. Wish it worked here.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aright so the tank is up and running with salt water. Took several days to fill because of my work schedule but alas, it is done. Setting up my gear. Rock is cycled. I just may be able to put my pair of clowns in here this weekend. We shall see.

O and for those wondering, the gap did close with the weight of the water. The tank appears to be compressed evenly into the foam pad underneath. Fingers crossed that nothing bad happens.

I liked the idea of the gravity fed ATO. I just about put my osmolator up for sale. However, when I placed my skimmer in the sump, I realized what a pain it would be to slide the ATO reservoir left and right. There wouldn't be enough room. So, I plugged the drain in the reservoir with hot glue, placed it in the right cabinet space, and will be using my tunze ATO as my primary top off. I am running some redundancy by having the osmolator pump water into the sump through a float valve. The optical sensor lies below the float valve . This way, the float should only ever have to be used in case of the ATO being stuck in the on position.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks to hear about the ATK. I was really intrigued by it but didn't purchased because I already had the Tunze Osmolator. So what I did was connect my osmolator pump to the float valve in the return chamber. I placed my sensors below the float so the osmolator will act as the primary ATO but in case it is ever stuck on, then the float valve will/should prevent the water from overflowing. Since it's fresh water being pushed through the float valve, I don't think salt creep should be an issue.

The icecap 4k are rated for smaller glass than the maxspect. I looked at those as well. The Red Sea gyres are rated for up to 3/4" as well as the maxspect. I agree that if one of mine grips and the other doesn't, it's an issue with the individual magnets, not the design. I think I'm going to ask coralvue to replace the pump since the magnet that appears to be defective is attached to the pump.

As for the flipper max, ya total let down. The thing was a beast on my 300 gallon. Wish it worked here.
Keep me up to date on your scraper research. I know you won’t have a chance to try it out before 12/31 when I want to place an order to use my coupon, but we’ll just have to take the leap at the same time.

In terms of the ATK I want to be clear; I was using it in the tank itself during the test fill. On the thinner sump glass it holds fine I’m just using the float hole the sump comes with rather than the magnetic mount. I’ll still use the mag mount for the sensors and it’s a secure enough hold. I was just mentioning it wasn’t good on the tank glass because that was my first moment realizing magnets could be a problem with this tank. Hopefully my Icecap 4K’s work out :oops:.

I liked the idea of the gravity fed ATO. I just about put my osmolator up for sale. However, when I placed my skimmer in the sump, I realized what a pain it would be to slide the ATO reservoir left and right. There wouldn't be enough room. So, I plugged the drain in the reservoir with hot glue, placed it in the right cabinet space, and will be using my tunze ATO as my primary top off. I am running some redundancy by having the osmolator pump water into the sump through a float valve. The optical sensor lies below the float valve . This way, the float should only ever have to be used in case of the ATO being stuck in the on position.
Awesome progress, congrats! I spent so many hours of my life trying to figure out my ATO. Long story short my Tunze doesn’t have the head height to pump from my fish room. So to use the Tunze I would have had to buy a European switched socket with adapters on both ends (a hot mess), an AC pump, run extra wires for pump control, and even then…no failsafe. What if the relay adapter got stuck on?

So I scrapped that and went with the overpriced ATK and a 1-link module to power the pump. The pump technically has the head height, but if that doesn’t work out I’ll just use a DOS or maybe a more powerful Apex compatible pump and deal with failsafes in coding.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Glad to see the tank and stand worked out! Excited to see it running

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep me up to date on your scraper research. I know you won’t have a chance to try it out before 12/31 when I want to place an order to use my coupon, but we’ll just have to take the leap at the same time.

In terms of the ATK I want to be clear; I was using it in the tank itself during the test fill. On the thinner sump glass it holds fine I’m just using the float hole the sump comes with rather than the magnetic mount. I’ll still use the mag mount for the sensors and it’s a secure enough hold. I was just mentioning it wasn’t good on the tank glass because that was my first moment realizing magnets could be a problem with this tank. Hopefully my Icecap 4K’s work out :oops:.

Awesome progress, congrats! I spent so many hours of my life trying to figure out my ATO. Long story short my Tunze doesn’t have the head height to pump from my fish room. So to use the Tunze I would have had to buy a European switched socket with adapters on both ends (a hot mess), an AC pump, run extra wires for pump control, and even then…no failsafe. What if the relay adapter got stuck on?

So I scrapped that and went with the overpriced ATK and a 1-link module to power the pump. The pump technically has the head height, but if that doesn’t work out I’ll just use a DOS or maybe a more powerful Apex compatible pump and deal with failsafes in coding.
One thing to be aware of is that magnets are individual pieces of equipment as well. Just as one of my gyres grabs and the other does not, one flipper max may work while the other does not. The description says up to 1" glass. Doesn't guarantee it but I'd be willing to bet that there are several flipper max out there working just fine on other 750 xxl.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, issues have been corrected. Tank is up and running. After filling, we made sure to check that the tank was level. Still is. I cycled my rock before hand. I also had a bio brick in a friends sump. Additionally, I added a bottle of Dr. Tims. I should be able to skip the cycle. I added a firefish. I'll test ammonia and nitrates every day this week. I have the Red Sea test kit.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t believe people still buy these with all the failures! Good luck :)
Its the best one you can buy. If you have a nice home you want something that looks good in it, RS is the one. Name one better? What do you have?
Well you’re being a bit of a wet blanket on a new build thread. You mean the tank itself? I know there have been issues with the cabinet buckling in the middle but that was supposed to be fixed with the brace. This tank is currently on version 3 and personally I take it as a good sign that Red Sea has continually improved it over time.

I was ok with 4 screws on each side to hold the board, but now I’m planning to build in a space with sawed off cabinet pieces. How does the adaptive reef piece get secured in the cabinet? I’m thinking to just use furniture straps designed to prevent kids from pulling bookcases etc. onto themselves. That way just a few small screws and as a plus, the whole box can super easily be removed for major hardware changes.
Wet blanket LOL. That's funny.

Congratulations on your new tank. Read you entire thread so far. Glad you got it figured out. Red Sea builds an awesome tank. Following

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CCC45FFC-7EC6-4CF2-902C-5D85B8C43CEC.jpeg
791B0EBD-6F34-4506-BDD7-DD702ADB2202.jpeg

I realize I didn’t add any photos in the above post. Here’s a FTS and one of the control board. It was definitely an eye catcher yesterday for our guests at the Christmas dinner. I requested a quote from Adaptive Reef for a Manny’s Reef LED panel to go above the tank. It’s been a while but we’ll see if he gets back to me.

Hope you all like it. It’s taken a lot of work to get here but we’re here. Tag along and watch it grow.

Back