OP
OP
MantisReef

MantisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank runs very low on nutrients, for coral health, I compensate for the naturally low nutrient levels by dosing Reed Mariculture Oyster Feast and Two Little Fishies Acropower amino acids daily. I also like to feed my fish and corals heavily with a homemade seafood blend. A couple of drops of Lugals Iodine and Brightwell Aquatics Replenish, a trace element supplement, is added weekly.

52513778695_0c64512bd6_c.jpg

Last edited:

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely incredible. Such a testament to what a (well kept) 10 year old reef should look like. exceptional.

bucketnerd5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to commend you on dedication and hard work for 2+ decades!! oh the tank looks great! ha

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!!! Kind of wonder where mine would be now...

I came back on to update my build thread to say I tore it down years ago lol

Now getting dragged back into the hobby / business :p

OP
OP
MantisReef

MantisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these things is not like the others.
All of these frags are JF Jolt, made at the same time.
The one with more red was kept at over 400 par,
the rest were grown at 250 par.
I knew they looked different, but I didn't know just how much until I put them together to take the photo.
52617492691_c56a12981c_c.jpg

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these things is not like the others.
All of these frags are JF Jolt, made at the same time.
The one with more red was kept at over 400 par,
the rest were grown at 250 par.
I knew they looked different, but I didn't know just how much until I put them together to take the photo.
52617492691_c56a12981c_c.jpg
Yep different par values will elicit different colors. I think this probly happens all of the time in the hobby when corals are sold and put under different lighting and parameters and then subsequently given a new designer name.

OP
OP
MantisReef

MantisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but do you have pics of your filtration set up?
I have not posted any pictures of filtration, its very messy, and in the next couple months the plan is to reorganize the basement sump and frag tanks and post the results.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MantisReef congrats on the ROTM! I'm not a big SPS guy, but you have an INCREDIBLE tank and take equally incredible photos. I'm blown away by the colors, the size of your colonies, the sheer amount of coral, and how well and almost natural everything flows together. You have a great eye. I feel like a lot of SPS dominant tanks, even the nicer ones, are just a bunch of colorful sticks mashed together, but you have a very nice flow/mix of corals. And I love the torches and tabling acros. Your frag tank looks nicer than 99% of the DTs I see.

Can't wait to see the gear/filtration room, once it's organized, I always like to see how people with successful tanks set everything up, especially since your approach seems relatively "simple" compared to some other approaches that are popular today.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back