OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t quarantine my rock but it did take a good 3 months to cycle it. I didn’t notice the clicking until around the 6 month mark if I remember right.

Same here. It took some time to actually here it. I think this one was too small to be noticable when I first got my rock. Took 6 months or so to notice it. I was lucky that it ended up in the hitchhiker tank really. Pulled 5 rocks out to convert my fish observation tank to a hitchhiker tank. It was hiding in one of those rocks after being cured and unfed for 6 months prior in a bucket. The rock came from gulfliverock.com.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. It took some time to actually here it. I think this one was too small to be noticable when I first got my rock. Took 6 months or so to notice it. I was lucky that it ended up in the hitchhiker tank really. Pulled 5 rocks out to convert my fish observation tank to a hitchhiker tank. It was hiding in one of those rocks after being cured and unfed for 6 months prior in a bucket. The rock came from gulfliverock.com.

It’s awesome that you were actually able to welcome this guy and give it a home. I felt guilty pulling out and destroying mine but they were costing me a lot of money in CUC replenishment and I was battling algae and needed the CUC more than anything. Hopefully he doesn’t decide to try to tunnel downwards through your glass someday and can lead a long happy life.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s awesome that you were actually able to welcome this guy and give it a home. I felt guilty pulling out and destroying mine but they were costing me a lot of money in CUC replenishment and I was battling algae and needed the CUC more than anything. Hopefully he doesn’t decide to try to tunnel downwards through your glass someday and can lead a long happy life.

I hope to have it for as long as possible. Not sure on their life expectancy at all. It does have its tunnels right glass level in the bottom of the tank. Not worried at this point. I hope to have it a long time:)

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my mantis has passed away. I haven't seen it in a few days. Finally saw a glimpse of him a couple hours ago and thought he didn't look quite right. Very pale and not moving. I thought it might be molting so left it alone till 10 minutes ago. The current in the tank shifted the body out more and I could tell it was either a dead shrimp or the molt. It was the shrimp:(

Pretty bummed to say the least. It was cool while I had it. Pretty sure it was a molting issue that did him in:(

I hope to get another sooner than later.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the last pic I took of him. Only 10 days ago.

:(
20200120_174458.jpg

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding. This really sucks. I sure did enjoy checking out his tank after work. It just wont be the same.

Already thinking of tearing it down and putting the rock into the sump of my larger tank. Going to order some more rock from the same place in the next month or so and start it all over. Maybe I'll get lucky and score another;)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back