Mantis tank mates

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I keep a mantis with other inverts like arrow crab shrimp coral sponge macro and tunicates and things? Which kind would I need. Spear or smash. Ik spear can’t kill snail or urchins

anemoneanatomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caveats apply to the following advice, of course, like "it varies tremendously depending on the species and the individual specimen" and "the bigger the tank, the safer everyone will be" but please keep in mind that this is a bit like saying "what victims will be safe with a serial killer?"

Anything with a hard shell (big snails, feather dusters) will likely be safe from a spearing type, as well as sea urchins. I can't think of a type of invertebrate that wouldn't be somewhat at risk with a smashing type. In a big tank, if it's well fed, it may leave more things alone, until one day it doesn't and you lose an invertebrate.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’m considering not getting it because of horror stories and I want as much biodiversity as possible, I don’t want to be a slave to a shrimp. Mabye when I get into multiple tank syndrome (and I will) I will get a shrimp

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back