Manual light lift

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a period of rather unsuccessful searching both on this forum and the web in general, I thought I would throw a line out here for your help.

I’m planning a remake of the way I hang my lights, and would like it to be a bit more user friendly than it is today.

At the moment they are hung simply by wire from the ceiling, and I’m unable to change the height easily.

I’ve looked at different solutions, and a possible solution would be this:
B6F52CF3-62FB-4D9D-AEDF-8B462E019106.jpeg

A plant pulley. However, optimally I’d like something using a regular wire, but the idea would be the same as the plan pulley. Also something smaller would be preferable.

Does anyone have a good idea on what could be used? Where that could be found? Or what else are you guys using?

Searching for plant pulley just shows about 3000 items identical to the one above, light pulley doesn’t show anything relevant and light lift results in automatic options.

thankful for every answer :)

joethenathan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t figure out what it’s called, but Reefbreeders uses a cable tensioner mechanism that’s like quick connect tubing. It’s fantastic. My google-fu fails me on this one though.

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to lift the lights to gain access ? if so then have you thought about mounting the lights on rails so you could slide them out of the way, it's an alternative depending upon your set up.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a pulley system for my wife's Jeep top. You can get tiny pulleys that hold a lot of weight and use small SS wire and a small electric inexpensive winch to raise them up and down. Pretty easy. Or buy something like this for $78

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at ceiling storage lifts for storing items in a garage as a possible solution for a light rack lift but ultimately just went with chains since I was mounting my lights high enough to get under them without needed to lift the light rack.

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to lift the lights to gain access ? if so then have you thought about mounting the lights on rails so you could slide them out of the way, it's an alternative depending upon your set up.

I suppose "need" would be an exaggeration. I'll be mounting them high enough, 20-24", so that any work would be fairly easy anyways, but it would be nice to easily be able to raise them fully out of the way. It's definitely more of a want though, even more of a precautionary "want".

I have looked at rails, however as they'll be wall-mounted and visible, I'd like to keep it as sleek as possible. Also don't really have a good direction to slide them to :p Thankful for the suggestion though!

I looked at ceiling storage lifts for storing items in a garage as a possible solution for a light rack lift but ultimately just went with chains since I was mounting my lights high enough to get under them without needed to lift the light rack.

Maybe that's just the best solution, just mount high enough to not get in the way...

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that's just the best solution, just mount high enough to not get in the way...

I went that way because it just got to complicated for my setup. The only issue I saw with a motorized system is the risk of corrosion or leaking of substances like grease or oil into the tank from the lift.

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went that way because it just got to complicated for my setup. The only issue I saw with a motorized system is the risk of corrosion or leaking of substances like grease or oil into the tank from the lift.

Definitely a worthy thing to keep in mind! I'd really not given that any thought as I've just looked at manual options, but even those could potentially "leak" I guess.

Back