Manual or Automatic feeding?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just wondering what others are doing for feeding regimens?
I feed manually in the evening and I have an automatic feeder to tend to feeding in my absence.

How many are feeding manually Only or Automatically Only and what is your purpose for choosing your method?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I personally only have my 2 clowns so I feed manually! I love the interaction with the fish and building a bond with them.
Interaction is Key. Im home today and have a Neptune AFS that feeds during the day and it was refreshing to visit the fish and inspect them and watch them attack the dry food

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what others are doing for feeding regimens?
I feed manually in the evening and I have an automatic feeder to tend to feeding in my absence.

How many are feeding manually Only or Automatically Only and what is your purpose for choosing your method?

I feed only manually unless I am TDY or on vacation. One reason is to observe feeding habits or aggression but the main reason is avoidance of automation, unless necessary.

That’s not to say dosing pumps and lights are not automated but I only leave 7 days fluid in the dosing reservoirs, and ATO. Every close call I have had in the last call it fifteen years was due to some mechanism failing. Lines popping off, batteries dying, automatic firmware updates screwing up, so on. I think a lot of people get too many gadgets that they think they need and it eventually causes more problems than it solves. Even with automatic devices , feeders included, you should be checking and maintaining them frequently. Just my two centavos.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feed only manually unless I am TDY or on vacation. One reason is to observe feeding habits or aggression but the main reason is avoidance of automation, unless necessary.

That’s not to say dosing pumps and lights are not automated but I only leave 7 days fluid in the dosing reservoirs, and ATO. Every close call I have had in the last call it fifteen years was due to some mechanism failing. Lines popping off, batteries dying, automatic firmware updates screwing up, so on. I think a lot of people get too many gadgets that they think they need and it eventually causes more problems than it solves. Even with automatic devices , feeders included, you should be checking and maintaining them frequently. Just my two centavos.
Mine was purchased initially for continued trips then recognized as convenience for my absence. Mine is Apex and no battery and I have a backup house generator

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a plank auto feeder that feeds 3 times each day. I installed that because I purchased 5 Bimac Anthia and wanted to keep them fed throughout the day while I’m at work.

I also feed frozen a couple of nights per week. I had to cut back a little because my nutrients spiked, which had to do with defeating what I think was Dino’s, but that’s another topic.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both. My automatic feeder feeds new life spectrum pellets twice a day.

In the evening I usually put a cube of frozen in.
I printed this a while back to just drop the cube in as the water spins it, it feeds the frozen cube out over the course of a few minutes.
PXL_20240107_183748392.jpg

Every couple days I broadcast feed benereef powder

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manually feed all my tanks as the majority of food I give them is frozen. Once or twice a week some pellets also fed manually. Usually have a family member or close friend feed when I’m away. I set up little pill cups with each days feeding for as long as I’m away.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual for me because I've pretty much only used frozen cube to this point. The last few days I've been trying new life spectrum algae max pellets to see if I could use an auto feeder when I am away.

Both. My automatic feeder feeds new life spectrum pellets twice a day.

In the evening I usually put a cube of frozen in.
I printed this a while back to just drop the cube in as the water spins it, it feeds the frozen cube out over the course of a few minutes.
PXL_20240107_183748392.jpg

Every couple days I broadcast feed benereef powder
I'm interested in how well this works for you. I have a week long trip coming up in a month. I have someone in my office (the tank is at work) who will feed my tank every morning, but it would be easier for her if I could find a way to eliminate the step of thawing the food. Is this something you drew up, or a download?

I bought the IM frozen food thawing gizmo, but it doesn't work well in my tank. The gyres don't agitate it enough to shake the food loose.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a combination of both automatic and manual feedings.

I automatically feed pellets a few times throughout the day and in the evenings I manually feed frozen cubes and then also manually feed coral food on a more intermittent basis

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so those who use auto feeders for pellets what product do you suggest? One that you found easy to set up and more importantly reliable. I use Hikari Seaweed Extreme and Hikari Marine A pellets when I feed pellets.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok so those who use auto feeders for pellets what product do you suggest? One that you found easy to set up and more importantly reliable. I use Hikari Seaweed Extreme and Hikari Marine A pellets when I feed pellets.
I use these for auto feeder:

food2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back