Manual or Automatic feeding?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i manually feed my own DIY food. however, once i upgrade tanks (slowly planning a 60G cube upgrade), i'll do dry + frozen. dry once or twice per day, and frozen once

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. My automatic feeder feeds new life spectrum pellets twice a day.

In the evening I usually put a cube of frozen in.
I printed this a while back to just drop the cube in as the water spins it, it feeds the frozen cube out over the course of a few minutes.
PXL_20240107_183748392.jpg

Every couple days I broadcast feed benereef powder

I like that. I've been dropping a cube in a cup to let it thaw right after I make my coffee (trust me, NEVER before making coffee...) For years now.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
lol nice. But what auto feeder do you use. Thinking about getting one.
Neptune Apex AFS
If you dont have Apex, Eheim Battery operated also good

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so those who use auto feeders for pellets what product do you suggest? One that you found easy to set up and more importantly reliable. I use Hikari Seaweed Extreme and Hikari Marine A pellets when I feed pellets.
I've got a cheap Amazon feeder that I was planning on upgrading at some point, but it works reliably and keeps the food dry (I've filled it up to a 3 week supply before). If I were to upgrade now, I'd probably look at Eheim or another name brand.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering what others are doing for feeding regimens?
I feed manually in the evening and I have an automatic feeder to tend to feeding in my absence.

How many are feeding manually Only or Automatically Only and what is your purpose for choosing your method?
Only manual - since I want to know what's up - and no failures. If I'm away a house sitter feeds measured amounts each day.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed manually in the evening and I have an automatic feeder to tend to feeding in my absence.

How many are feeding manually Only or Automatically Only and what is your purpose for choosing your method?
I go AUTO, because honestly... I am LAZY...lol I use a smart feeder I found on Amazon ($35.00)...automate it via Alexa

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have you tested what happens if you lose internet connection? Does the feeder stop dispensing all-together or does it stay on schedule?
With apex, mine stays on schedule

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested what happens if you lose internet connection? Does the feeder stop dispensing all-together or does it stay on schedule?
It keeps everything in memory. Whenever I do any type of intank maintenance (Which is almost daily recently), I take the feeder down, (Sometimes I forget to put it back on), but when I do plug it back, the schedule continues until the trigger time period for me its ONCE a day at night. I use the "SMART LIFE" app and sometimes "Alexa schedules.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It keeps everything in memory. Whenever I do any type of intank maintenance (Which is almost daily recently), I take the feeder down, (Sometimes I forget to put it back on), but when I do plug it back, the schedule continues until the trigger time period for me its ONCE a day at night. I use the "SMART LIFE" app and sometimes "Alexa schedules.
Nice! Is the product still on Amazon? I have feeding modes programmed into my GHL and some smart plugs, but have to program the feeder to match the time (waiting for the day when the batteries start to die and it gets off schedule)

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interaction is Key. Im home today and have a Neptune AFS that feeds during the day and it was refreshing to visit the fish and inspect them and watch them attack the dry food
I love my 2 clowns! I can’t wait till I have my own house and can get a large tank. Maybe 10 times the size I have now would be nice.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so those who use auto feeders for pellets what product do you suggest? One that you found easy to set up and more importantly reliable. I use Hikari Seaweed Extreme and Hikari Marine A pellets when I feed pellets.
Eheim 100% the only one I trust.

I have two at opposite ends of the tank that feed alternately (controlled by Profilux)

I've left the tank for 8 weeks whilst travelling running autofeed with no problems.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

This. I have an AFS for when I am gone. But it's ugly and bulky so it gets put away when we are home.

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cube of various frozen morning and evening, half sheet nori once a day, NLS pellet on Eheim auto-feeder light feed 3 times midday. I like the auto feeder as part of the regimen because it's a backup, especially when I'm gone.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed my Tang and Coral Beauty maybe 10 times in 5 years... Fat and happy.

I cleaned up the reef and added more fish.

I don't like feeding. After a few weeks I decided to get an Avast Plank. Now I only throw a frozen cube or two in when I think about it. The plank feeds them 99% of the time.

Fat and Happy.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim 100% the only one I trust.

I have two at opposite ends of the tank that feed alternately (controlled by Profilux)

I've left the tank for 8 weeks whilst travelling running autofeed with no problems.
How do you have the Eheim connected to your Profilux? Is there a specific model and accessory needed?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back