Manually Splitting my Anemone

Abrar Labib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I wanted to know that of I split my Anemone manually and put it back in my tank,my clown will start hosting. So will it be. A problem for the anemone? Should I keep it in a breeding box till it heals properly?

Attachments

• 20200225_195121.mp4
    25.1 MB

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in breeder box, do not feed until fully healed.

vanw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a long tentacle anemone for about 10 years. I manually split 4 times. Each time I cut it into 4 pieces. 2 to 3 segments would survive (I think the first time all 4 survived). The segments that died, would die within about a week. My ocellaris would always husband exactly 2 of the segments and leave the others alone.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has this particular BTA been split before? If so, then it should be fine to split, and keep in a box as others already mentioned. I recommend just cutting it in half, not in quarters. I let my splits heal for at least three weeks before removing them from the box.

If it hasn't split before, then there's a chance that it won't survive. Some BTAs are able to survive the split with a higher rate of success than others. This is because there are some BTAs that reproduce by cloning, versus others that sexually reproduce (which could also mean that there are male and female BTAs).

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I cut mine, it usually takes about 1.5 weeks to 2 weeks before it can start being fed again. You’ll see little tiny tentacles starting to grow where you cut.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back