Manufacturers statements

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, In an attempt to make a more informed decision. Rather than just relying on the marketing comments found on the packaging of a reef product. I often search the manufacturer's web site for more detailed information. I then try to make sense of this information by researching the claims against an independent reliable source. Such as research papers and Journals.

Many manufacturers have an excellent attitude towards my inquisitiveness and are very helpful and surprisingly open.

I am of course aware of intellectual property and the sensitivity of companies data. However the questions I ask are always related to statements of science, not the actual ingredients or manufacturing process.

I was given the contact details of a person of whom I was informed was the "leading Chemist" and owner of a company, whom I believe has very recently completed what appears to be his bachelor's degree in chemistry. I was very confused by both the companies statements and the lack of answers to my simple questions. I have tried to do some research but to no avail. I wondered if you could clear up some of my confusion. Below is an extract from the companies statement that accompanies the product.

"our salts are the world first ‘Macro Probiotic Salts"

"our phosphate remover is able to remove both the ionic & chemically bound phosphate simultaneously"

"our nitrate removers (high range & low range) do not promote that nuisance pink/white bio-bac slime"

"We have 3 aragonite products, they have a unique mixture of ionic & complexed (non-nitrogenous) cations (positively charged elements) whereas most products on the market only have ionic. The complexed cations contain a source of energy which will not promote algae growth"

May I point out, that I in no way make any claims towards the accuracy of the manufacturers statements. I just wondered if you could help me decipher some of the comments. I started with the word Macro Probiotic, also explained as Macrobiotics in another of the companies statements. I found it very confusing as the only reference I could come up with was something to do with yin and yang elements found in Zen Buddhism.

Hope you can help shed some light on the subject.

Best wishes Tony.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"our phosphate remover is able to remove both the ionic & chemically bound phosphate simultaneously"

They mean organic phosphate, presumably. Nothing special there, IMO. GFO and aluminum oxide will bind organics that also contain phosphate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"our nitrate removers (high range & low range) do not promote that nuisance pink/white bio-bac slime"

They presumably mean the do not promote cyanobacteria. I'm not sure what the products are, or even if they would work in seawater (some 'binders" of nitrate will not. They may just be an organic that they think has less tendency to promote cyano.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"our salts are the world first ‘Macro Probiotic Salts"

presumably that means they either add organics to it, or add bacteria to it. Tropic Marin Bioactif makes a similar claim by adding organic matter.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"We have 3 aragonite products, they have a unique mixture of ionic & complexed (non-nitrogenous) cations (positively charged elements) whereas most products on the market only have ionic. The complexed cations contain a source of energy which will not promote algae growth"

Fine aragonite products for dosing are generally not useful for dosing alk and calcium, and will not dissolve in seawater. Sadly, many companies either do not realize this or do not care to know.

Calcium bound to things like polygluconate (Seachem) could be characterized as "complexed (non-nitrogenous) cations". Its not a desirable thing, IMO.

OP
OP
Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They mean organic phosphate, presumably. Nothing special there, IMO. GFO and aluminum oxide will bind organics that also contain phosphate.

Hi Randy, thanks for the reply. I can now conclude that without any further explanation from the manufacturer, I would be unable to make an informed decision.

I find it quite amusing how certain manufacturers continue to complicate what seems to be a simple product, that IMO needs no immediate enhancement. Without any further explanation I would assume that this is simply the Worlds first aquarium salt to be labelled as Macrobiotic.

Best wishes from across the pond.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back