Marble stand?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a list of good ideas, post some pictures we love to see it come together.

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BattlestarGalaxia,
I am a tile guy by trade but have worked for a granite shop in the past. I think you have some great ideas to work with. I think a metal or wood framed stand skinned in marble would be incredible! From what I have seen with a lot of marble and even some of the granites with more movement they can be more brittle. Also by skinning a frame you would be able to remove the panels to access equipment under the tank. Just some food for thought. Good luck with the build. Sounds like it will be a great one!

OP
OP
B

BattlestarGalaxia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BattlestarGalaxia,
I am a tile guy by trade but have worked for a granite shop in the past. I think you have some great ideas to work with. I think a metal or wood framed stand skinned in marble would be incredible! From what I have seen with a lot of marble and even some of the granites with more movement they can be more brittle. Also by skinning a frame you would be able to remove the panels to access equipment under the tank. Just some food for thought. Good luck with the build. Sounds like it will be a great one!

Yeah I'm definitly thinking wood frame. Im starting to think I should make a solid face for it and cut out the holes for the shelves. So it would look more like a marble bookshelf/fish tank. With all the testing kits and everything nestled on a marble shelf below the tank.

OP
OP
B

BattlestarGalaxia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at work, I think I'm going to go with granite over marble. I am going to recess the tank in the top and wrap the top and bottom. Kind of like crown molding and a base board but in stone. I guess now I need to go get the wood for the frame and plan the stand height and location. My next post will hopefully be pictures before the weekend its over!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at work, I think I'm going to go with granite over marble. I am going to recess the tank in the top and wrap the top and bottom. Kind of like crown molding and a base board but in stone. I guess now I need to go get the wood for the frame and plan the stand height and location. My next post will hopefully be pictures before the weekend its over!

Chop-Chop lets go we want pictures... lol

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

woohooo!!! sounds like a cool setup, can't wait to see pics. I love granite, the house we just bought has granite coutertops and it's a bit of a learning curve going to natural stones, they apparently require maintenance :eek:oh:

OP
OP
B

BattlestarGalaxia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woohooo!!! sounds like a cool setup, can't wait to see pics. I love granite, the house we just bought has granite coutertops and it's a bit of a learning curve going to natural stones, they apparently require maintenance :eek:oh:

Yeah but its worth it! At least IMO anyways.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but its worth it! At least IMO anyways.
I agree, I love the granite and I wouldn't change a thing, I'm just not used to it. apparently we are supposed to seal it every 6 months or so. there's also other benefits, I was reading about how to fix areas where the surface has been stained or damaged, something you can't do with normal countertop materials..

OP
OP
B

BattlestarGalaxia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I love the granite and I wouldn't change a thing, I'm just not used to it. apparently we are supposed to seal it every 6 months or so. there's also other benefits, I was reading about how to fix areas where the surface has been stained or damaged, something you can't do with normal countertop materials..

Absolutly! If you need any tips or advice just let me know! Its amazing some of the ways it can be fixed using everyday household items. Superglue gel and a razor blade will fix small chips and liquid for cracks. Just PM me with pictures of anything damaged and ill do my best to give you an awesome walk through on how I'd do it anyways.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutly! If you need any tips or advice just let me know! Its amazing some of the ways it can be fixed using everyday household items. Superglue gel and a razor blade will fix small chips and liquid for cracks. Just PM me with pictures of anything damaged and ill do my best to give you an awesome walk through on how I'd do it anyways.

super glue and a razor, eh? I think I have that in my fish tank stand.. lol. I may take you up on some advice, we have one or two small chips I've noticed, but oveall it's pretty much in perfect condition.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420227016.968615.jpg

I'm in the same trade. Here's a steel stand I made with a 3cm stone top. Tank was a 150 gallon

OP
OP
B

BattlestarGalaxia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I promised pictures and I'm behind my deadline :( but I got a 55 gallon over the holidays and I've been building the stand for it and getting everything together. I built the stand bigger than the 55, 87" long by the width of the tank. My plan is to set stone on both sides and wrap the top with a granite skirt. Give me a week or so and I'll have pictures up.

Eric N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I love marble so I'm trying to think really hard about a stand made out of it. If I had to do wood id be curious If I could make one look nice out of pallet wood. Almost make it look "rustic" I believe is the term.

That's a beautiful design. Not sure how good it would look, but perhaps use (length?) x 1/2" x 2" marble beams like trim on the stand's corners and up the middle, then continue the pattern on a proportionately sized box hood. Use nice wood for the bulk of the stand. That might get a good look without putting a big marble slab on top of the tank and it would balance the appearance vertically. Plus, I would be nervous about adding too much more weight under and over an already 1/2 - 1 ton box in some locations of the house.

As for pallet wood, I have the idea of someday using wood like that, then cutting them to slightly different lengths, and then putting them together with the long way vertical, then if I can manage it, use old round beams for the vertical edges so it looks like an old dock.

OP
OP
B

BattlestarGalaxia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful design. Not sure how good it would look, but perhaps use (length?) x 1/2" x 2" marble beams like trim on the stand's corners and up the middle, then continue the pattern on a proportionately sized box hood. Use nice wood for the bulk of the stand. That might get a good look without putting a big marble slab on top of the tank and it would balance the appearance vertically. Plus, I would be nervous about adding too much more weight under and over an already 1/2 - 1 ton box in some locations of the house.

As for pallet wood, I have the idea of someday using wood like that, then cutting them to slightly different lengths, and then putting them together with the long way vertical, then if I can manage it, use old round beams for the vertical edges so it looks like an old dock.

Yeah that's a great idea. I had a lot of pieces cut when I was going to do the 20gal but now that I got the 55gal and a much bigger budget I want to start over. With the 55 the only place we have in our small house for the 55 is behind a couch just because of size. So my plan is to start completely over building the stand. I built it our of pallet wood and I don't trust it to fill it up so I'm going today and getting some 4x4s and 2x4s. I wasn't planning on upgrading and now I feel like I'm starting from skratch.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back