Marco algae? Or maybe red bubble algae?

tinyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've let it grow so far because it grows pretty slow and hasn't spread at all. It is growing on a pump I am replacing today and if it isn't going to cause problems down the road I will try to move it to a rock. So does anyone know what this is? It looks more like leaves or branches than bubbles to me but I haven't seen red bubble algae in person before.

20231216_140429.jpg 20231216_140445.jpg

OP
OP
T

tinyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help so far everyone!

I did keep them, I have the large one in my main tank and the smaller in a frag tank.

foraminiferan is an interesting suggestion and it's possible. They weren't hard like they had a shell but they were much more solid than I was expecting. They felt kind of like chicken gristle if that makes sense. Also I don't see any hairs coming out of them that are described in other foraminiferan forums. The color matches though as they are more of a deep red than the orange in my pictures. I should have grabbed a new picture but the underside had a branching stem connecting the leaves, and the entire thing was growing so tightly together it felt solid.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
foraminiferan is an interesting suggestion and it's possible. They weren't hard like they had a shell but they were much more solid than I was expecting. They felt kind of like chicken gristle if that makes sense. Also I don't see any hairs coming out of them that are described in other foraminiferan forums. The color matches though as they are more of a deep red than the orange in my pictures. I should have grabbed a new picture but the underside had a branching stem connecting the leaves, and the entire thing was growing so tightly together it felt solid.
Ah, yeah a foraminiferan (forams come in a wide range of shapes, sizes, and colors) would feel like it has a shell underneath (it has a shell called a test like the shells of sea urchins), and the branching stem would indicate a macroalgae there.

OP
OP
T

tinyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, I'll post some pictures again when it grows bigger and maybe get an ID, and I'll post if it ever starts spreading uncontrollably so others know to watch out for it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back