Marco Foundation Rock worth the money?

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering my first Marco rock tonight and wondering if Foundation Rock is worth the money. Sounds like a really smart idea for stability and i'm sure the rocks will look cool coming out of the sand.
For the price of them I am having a hard time adding around $200 to my order, are they worth it? Are there any alternatives?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatives? How about live rock? It's not as easy to make a rock sculpture-scape out of but it may be superior for providing real live reef microbiome to jump start the system?

I have not used their product so I don't have direct experience with it, but I have laid brick for my patio but I wasn't trying to grow coral on it. :cool:

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatives? How about live rock? It's not as easy to make a rock sculpture-scape out of but it may be superior for providing real live reef microbiome to jump start the system?

I have not used their product so I don't have direct experience with it, but I have laid brick for my patio but I wasn't trying to grow coral on it. :cool:
Thank you KrisReef.

I was looking for Alternatives to Marco Rocks Foundation product they sell which has a ground flat bottom.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you KrisReef.

I was looking for Alternatives to Marco Rocks Foundation product they sell which has a ground flat bottom.
I figured that, but I still had to try and change your mind! :cool:

Hopefully folks with experience with the dry rockscapes will weigh-in here shortly.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the foundation rock and I really like it, it gives me peace of mind that my base is stable and not putting pressure on the glass in just a few tiny points. And yeah, I do love the look of the rocks peeking up from the sand! My RFAs seemed to like it too, both anchored their feet to the part of the rock under the sand.

Not sure what size tank you are setting up but you may be able to get away with less - a few foundation pieces with the regular rock spanning gaps between it.

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the foundation rock and I really like it, it gives me peace of mind that my base is stable and not putting pressure on the glass in just a few tiny points. And yeah, I do love the look of the rocks peeking up from the sand! My RFAs seemed to like it too, both anchored their feet to the part of the rock under the sand.

Not sure what size tank you are setting up but you may be able to get away with less - a few foundation pieces with the regular rock spanning gaps between it.
Thank you Saltcats

I'm setting up a 75 gallon. I was going to order 4 Mediums, and 4 or 5 smalls but 75lbs of standard rock until I looked how much it was going to cost hahah
Do you think that would be too many foundation rocks ?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my flat-on-one-side rocks. . .

I use this or the purple version:

Note that all my tanks are bare bottom though. . .

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Saltcats

I'm setting up a 75 gallon. I was going to order 4 Mediums, and 4 or 5 smalls but 75lbs of standard rock until I looked how much it was going to cost hahah
Do you think that would be too many foundation rocks ?
I'm not sure how much that is exactly (is that BRS's measurement system?)... I ordered mine by the lb from premium aquatics.

For reference I got 2lbs for my nano tank (1.3 sq ft bottom area in the tank) and then ~10lbs for my upcoming 50 lagoon (including the original 2lbs as I'm upgrading). This seems like plenty to me for the scapes I've been playing with.
The size of the 2lb piece I ordered -

IMG_20201124_112414.jpg

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going to try STAX off premium aquatics for half the cost and looks like the same amount of everything

JReef128

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i purchased the 9lb bag and glued a few pcs together to form a nice base plus you’ll have additional pcs to build your scape

tylertheman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used regular marco rock and cut flat pieces with my miter saw. Just had to buy a diamond blade for it but it saved a ton on money. I loved the idea of flat rock on the bottom but couldn't afford the extra money for the flat rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back