Marine Biologist

Crowbar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, welcome!

I don't have a degree in marine bio, but do have a bachelors in biology. I maintain that going to school for it was worth it because it was something I'm interested in, but I would definitely advise you to do some research on how to get the most out of such a degree and try and have some kind of career goal/trajectory mapped out for yourself! I personally got caught up in the "went to school, now can't find a job outside of a lab setting because I have no experience and everything is super competitive" rut and eventually moved on to a different field. It was frustrating. I don't feel like I got the kind of guidance from my advisors that I should have in school, and was left without any real help or direction after graduation.

But I also think you should definitely follow your passions and make it work out for you, if that's what you're interested in doing! :)

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a Bachelors Degree in Human Resources and a full time job. I am seriously considering going back to school to follow my dreams and pursue a career in Marine Biology. I was wondering if there may be any current Marine Biologists or someone who is currently enrolled in a program here on R2R that may be willing to offer some advice or answer some questions.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
I was one for 4 years and quit to get a masters in engineering.
Make your love for the ocean a hobby. Have a tank, volunteer dive at an aquarium, go on SCUBA vacations.
There’s negative money in the field unless you have a PhD. That’s why I left. Absolutely most gratifying job I’ve ever had. Just horrendous pay and extremely labor intensive, not something I could retire doing.

Here we go again..

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i already had a bachelor of science degree in biology when i enrolled, so i only had to do the one-year program. the two-year students had to take all the classes i did, but i didn't have to take (repeat) all the classes they did, if that makes sense. it's no cakewalk; fun as hell, but they work you hard. they offer a scholarship program worth looking into that pays for a substantial portion of the tuition. the program is pretty highly regarded throughout the industry, and job placement for graduates is impressively high.

i lived on campus, which is on the bay (full of sea lions and the occasional killer whale) and smack-dab between hatfield marine science center and the oregon coast aquarium (which is world-class). so you work in well-equipped labs (including with dr tim miller-morgan, a renowned aquatic veterinarian) as well as the aquarium which is huge (you'll get to work w large sharks, rays, etc.). but then there's also the gorgeous coast itself, where you do tons of field work including animal collection.

as you can probably see, i loved it and got a lot out of it. despite working in the industry for over 10 years before i entered the program, i still learned tons. i mean, hatfield has an entire library exclusively devoted to aquarium and fisheries related material... i'd also just throw in that newport is an exceptionally amazing town; seafood, awesome beer, whalewatching, hiking, salmon fishing, the list goes on. i SERIOUSLY recommend.

Wow that sounds incredible and thank you so much for taking the time to provide so much information. I requested some information from the school tonight and I am really looking forward to hearing back. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do for a living? It appears to be a program that provides you with great building blocks that you can take in a few different directions.

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was one for 4 years and quit to get a masters in engineering.
Make your love for the ocean a hobby. Have a tank, volunteer dive at an aquarium, go on SCUBA vacations.
There’s negative money in the field unless you have a PhD. That’s why I left. Absolutely most gratifying job I’ve ever had. Just horrendous pay and extremely labor intensive, not something I could retire doing.

You’re right in saying that the field of marine biology is definitely competitive, and difficult to find a great or even good paying job. However, I think you are wrong to advise him against pursuing a passion. there are some things that money cannot buy. And if you are able to wake up every day and do something you are passionate about and love doing, then it can be very worth it. Do what you love, and you will find a way to make due.. that’s been my moto

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, welcome!

I don't have a degree in marine bio, but do have a bachelors in biology. I maintain that going to school for it was worth it because it was something I'm interested in, but I would definitely advise you to do some research on how to get the most out of such a degree and try and have some kind of career goal/trajectory mapped out for yourself! I personally got caught up in the "went to school, now can't find a job outside of a lab setting because I have no experience and everything is super competitive" rut and eventually moved on to a different field. It was frustrating. I don't feel like I got the kind of guidance from my advisors that I should have in school, and was left without any real help or direction after graduation.

But I also think you should definitely follow your passions and make it work out for you, if that's what you're interested in doing! :)

Thank you. I really starting deep diving on my research tonight and I agree, it is going to be paramount to have an idea of what I want to do. Everyone on this thread has been super helpful. So far I am interested in Oregon Coast Community Colleges 2 year Aquarium Science program. It looks like it will provide great building blocks and some direction. In my situation that may be a smarter starting point as opposed to jumping right into a Bachelors program. The other area that interests me is Ichthyology.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right in saying that the field of marine biology is definitely competitive, and difficult to find a great or even good paying job. However, I think you are wrong to advise him against pursuing a passion. there are some things that money cannot buy. And if you are able to wake up every day and do something you are passionate about and love doing, then it can be very worth it. Do what you love, and you will find a way to make due.. that’s been my moto

If he TRULY has a love and passion for it, then no matter how much random people tell him not do it, he's still gonna do it. That was me anyways. I knew from the age of 7 I wanted to be a marine biologist. Then I became one. I agree, if you love your job, you don't work a day in your life. I always enjoyed taking care of my animals. Loved the laid back atmosphere combined with the labor intensiveness. I loved being in an active job. I loved knowing I was the reason that a child would one day decided to save the oceans.
BUT
I was loving my job for those 40 hours a week.... and with barely making 20k/year I had to bartend AND personal train after I got off work in order to live a lower middle class life. I was working 3 jobs close to 80 hours a week, and not even have enough to save for any SCUBA vacations in a real reef.

Just want to show all sides of the industry. Its not all manta rays and clownfish.

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he TRULY has a love and passion for it, then no matter how much random people tell him not do it, he's still gonna do it. That was me anyways. I knew from the age of 7 I wanted to be a marine biologist. Then I became one. I agree, if you love your job, you don't work a day in your life. I always enjoyed taking care of my animals. Loved the laid back atmosphere combined with the labor intensiveness. I loved being in an active job. I loved knowing I was the reason that a child would one day decided to save the oceans.
BUT
I was loving my job for those 40 hours a week.... and with barely making 20k/year I had to bartend AND personal train after I got off work in order to live a lower middle class life. I was working 3 jobs close to 80 hours a week, and not even have enough to save for any SCUBA vacations in a real reef.

Just want to show all sides of the industry. Its not all manta rays and clownfish.
definitely. It’s 95% not manta rays and clownfish. And you are right. It’s not Easy. And In today’s day, a graduate degree is almost necessary. However, if you can stick it out short term, it can pay off in the long run. IF it’s something you’re truly passionate about. And I haven’t met too many people who work in this field and aren’t passionate about it. For this work, it’s not about the money.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ALWAYS follow your dreams
WELCOME to the R2R community and we’re glad you joined us !

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sounds incredible and thank you so much for taking the time to provide so much information. I requested some information from the school tonight and I am really looking forward to hearing back. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do for a living? It appears to be a program that provides you with great building blocks that you can take in a few different directions.
i work as a production biologist, mainly for the aquarium industry (aquaculture, basically)--some of which has been hands-on tech work, and some has been consulting, copywriting, etc. at present, i operate a small business culturing bacteria. started working for fish shops, and then moved more into hatcheries, labs, etc. got my first fish store job in 1990, but had to quit because i refused to cut my mullet... SOMEHOW it was all uphill from there lol. absolutely the program helped to "professionalize" my passions and interests.

no doubt i learned a lot in the program. cool thing is that they allow a lot of room for independent study of the things you're specially interested in. but they also expose you to dang near every possible area in the field, which is at least as valuable. looking back, i made quite a few professional connections around that time as well.

glad you're looking into it. i hope you update here after you learn/decide more.

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a Bachelors Degree in Human Resources and a full time job. I am seriously considering going back to school to follow my dreams and pursue a career in Marine Biology. I was wondering if there may be any current Marine Biologists or someone who is currently enrolled in a program here on R2R that may be willing to offer some advice or answer some questions.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
Welcome to R2R good luck, I would love to follow the same path.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i already had a bachelor of science degree in biology when i enrolled, so i only had to do the one-year program. the two-year students had to take all the classes i did, but i didn't have to take (repeat) all the classes they did, if that makes sense. it's no cakewalk; fun as hell, but they work you hard. they offer a scholarship program worth looking into that pays for a substantial portion of the tuition. the program is pretty highly regarded throughout the industry, and job placement for graduates is impressively high.

i lived on campus, which is on the bay (full of sea lions and the occasional killer whale) and smack-dab between hatfield marine science center and the oregon coast aquarium (which is world-class). so you work in well-equipped labs (including with dr tim miller-morgan, a renowned aquatic veterinarian) as well as the aquarium which is huge (you'll get to work w large sharks, rays, etc.). but then there's also the gorgeous coast itself, where you do tons of field work including animal collection.

as you can probably see, i loved it and got a lot out of it. despite working in the industry for over 10 years before i entered the program, i still learned tons. i mean, hatfield has an entire library exclusively devoted to aquarium and fisheries related material... i'd also just throw in that newport is an exceptionally amazing town; seafood, awesome beer, whalewatching, hiking, salmon fishing, the list goes on. i SERIOUSLY recommend.
Do you know if they accept 71 years old Swedes :p:p ?

Back in 84 (when I was 34 years old) I switch carrier and did a 2 year lower university program for fishery consultants. I did not want to be a bureaucrat - but it was the only program in Sweden those days for people that want to work with aquaculture. Never have regret that - even if it sometimes have been difficult with jobs, long working days when you have jobs and not the best pay back here. I did my hobby to my work. Today - 6 years after my retirement - I still is able to work 25 % because of the knowledge I collect during the years after 1984. There is no part of the whole systems that i do not have interact with - in one or another way. I work with - and have works with marine biologists and as many have say in this thread - they are often highly specialized in small areas. In my ears - the Oregon education sound like a perfect program for anyone interested in the hobby and all things around. An aquarist need to be well educated in many fields - to manage a life supporting system you need biological skills, technical skills, other practical skills and a lot of interest and personal involvement.

If I was 50 years younger. living in the US and have the interest you have - I would never hesitate to attend a course like the one @Kenneth Wingerter suggest. Not a general marine biology course - just a specialized course like the one in Oregon.

And this line get me totally sold

i'd also just throw in that newport is an exceptionally amazing town; seafood, awesome beer, whalewatching, hiking, salmon fishing, the list goes on.

sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i work as a production biologist, mainly for the aquarium industry (aquaculture, basically)--some of which has been hands-on tech work, and some has been consulting, copywriting, etc. at present, i operate a small business culturing bacteria. started working for fish shops, and then moved more into hatcheries, labs, etc. got my first fish store job in 1990, but had to quit because i refused to cut my mullet... SOMEHOW it was all uphill from there lol. absolutely the program helped to "professionalize" my passions and interests.

no doubt i learned a lot in the program. cool thing is that they allow a lot of room for independent study of the things you're specially interested in. but they also expose you to dang near every possible area in the field, which is at least as valuable. looking back, i made quite a few professional connections around that time as well.

glad you're looking into it. i hope you update here after you learn/decide more.

The fact that you refused to cut your mullet is awesome. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge, help and experience. Aquaculture is definitely something I could see myself doing but I would be much more interested in aquaculture for aquariums, lfs’, the general hobby etc, not farming for food. Not sure what the market would be for that. It seems pretty unanimous from all responses that it is very likely that the salary for whatever I do will be hard to live on. The whole reason I’m looking into this is because of my passion and the fact that I don’t want to look back at my career and life and regret not doing something I love. However, I do have two little girls so I don’t think the salary info I have heard so far would work for me/us.

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUT

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is beyond helpful hearing from people that have gone down this path. I can whole heartily say this is my passion. It took me a few years to realize it but that’s how I know it is what I truly love to do. The hardest part for me is the fact that I do currently have a stable job, earning a healthy salary. My heart just isn’t in it and I can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like to love what I do so much that it doesn’t feel like work. I am more interested in lab work than working directly with animals but I would enjoy field work as well. All that being said, it seems pretty unanimous that regardless of what path you take in this industry you tend to struggle to pay the bills. I could swing this if it were just my wife and I as we have talked about it and know we would have to drastically change our lifestyle (we believe we would be much happier) for the love and passion of the work but unfortunately this wouldn’t work for my two you girls. ☹️. I will continue to network and research but your perspective has been tremendously helpful so thank you again.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but unfortunately this wouldn’t work for my two you girls. ☹.
When I did my change - we had 3 childs from 3 to 9 years of age. I had a blue collar job before and no money saved. With help of student loans and extra work during nights and holidays and that my wife had a evening job in the eldre care it works out very well. However - it was in Sweden and we do not pay for the higher education - only for the living costs.

But if you found a way out for courses like these - you will not regret yourself.

My education was later the base for my job at public aquariums and I still work with that.

Sincerely Lasse

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back