Marine buffer by SeaChem

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question- My PH is 7.4 and I have corals and fish. Will it hurt to add a little Marine Buffer by Seachem?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not hurt, but the rise in pH will be temporary. More important than pH by a long shot, what are your Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium levels?

Especially in the winter pH tends to drop due to the increase in CO2 in the air. It will also vary throughout the day and is affected by the number of people in the house at any given time.

I, for one, haven't checked the pH of any of my aquariums in well over 25 years.

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I checked it about ten minutes ago and it was 7.8. I opened the top and I will see what that will do. I will test alkalinity , Magnesium and calcium. The last time I tested the calcium it was ok thank you.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help!

It's so very easy to go down the rabbit hole chasing one number or another. The problem with using pH buffer is that, because it's effect is temporary, you'll keep adding more and more to maintain that magic number and then will throw your Ca and Alk so out of whack that a whole host of new problems pop up - precipitation of CaCl onto your electrical components being a big problem. It seems to have an affinity for impellers and can easily destroy powerheads and pumps.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I checked it about ten minutes ago and it was 7.8. I opened the top and I will see what that will do. I will test alkalinity , Magnesium and calcium. The last time I tested the calcium it was ok thank you.
Please don’t chase this number, it would be rare for it to operate to low unless your having a party.
Tests kits have proven not to be so accurate for this parameter.
Having great surface movement, running a small fan across the water, open a window, bring outside air into skimmer, a CO2 scrubber are all things you can do to increase PH.

Additives which increase PH cause artificial spikes in PH which cannot be maintained and flux in PH affects all chemistry.

I have not measured mine once in 4 years but do employ the fan, the air to skimmer, great surface movement.
8895FC21-A1D5-4CFA-B147-C29DCE4BCF6C.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for your help. I am utilizing your suggestions.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back