I have a 75 gallon tank with the given params below
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 78
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 2.5
Phosphates: 0
Ph: 8.2
I think that's pretty much it if there's other stuff you wanna know let me know and I'll check.

Anyways, as I said it's a 75 gallon, I have a new 20 gallon sump it's the sapphire 26, a refugium inside with chaeto and my tank has pods and coralline growth.

Stocking list below
2 clowns
1 cleaner wrasse
1 Tomini tang
1 Baby Mandarin goby
1 Lawnmower blenny
1 Springer damsel
1 Royal Gramma
5 trochus
1 cleaner shrimp
5 hermits
1 tuxedo urchin
1 variegated urchin

Now that the prelims are out of the way, essentially I've noticed my tang, gramma, blenny and cleaner wrasse have been scratching. This morning my Tang was fine but by evening (now) he has what looks like a visible scratch on his head. Upon looking closer at everyone I noticed my blenny has what looked like a sore on his head. Tang has ich spots and so does Gramma at a decent amount. Blenny has maybe 1 or 2 that I can see, wrasse I can't see any.

The problem I am having is this, I am from Canada and they have banned all fish meds, which is quite a pain. I don't want my fish to die and I'm not sure what to do. As of tonight I've pumped the feeding the twice a day and it seems like everyone is eating the brine and cyclopreeze judging by their gut sizes(mainly did the smaller shrimps because my fish were smaller at one point, the blenny doesn't eat much shrimp anymore because the Tang is an butt but I can confirm he is eating from his belly).

Like I said, I am kind of at a loss and am not sure what to do as I can't get any meds without 1. Taking the fish to a vet, which the stress alone would kill them and on top of that we don't have an exotic vet in my town and even if I did being laid off from work due to covid i wouldn't be able to afford it anyways. Or 2 trying to order through eBay in a round about way but even then it's likely to get stopped by customs because not even the fish stores here can get any meds in due to covid. 3. Even if I could medicate I don't exactly have the facilities to do so.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Would shutting the lights off help? Bumping up the temp? I just don't know what to do, the only thing I can try is the aforementioned double feeding per day just to hopefully get their immune systems to fight it off. I'm not sure how they got as I havent added any fish for a while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you so much!

EDIT: my little sharknose goby just passed and all of this started after that so idk if he was the difference maker keeping all the ich at bay.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry to hear about your problem The issue in Canada with fish meds keeps coming up here, I wish the was a good work around.
Turning the lights down won’t help. Raising the tank temperature will just speed up the infection, and without a concurrent medication, the fish would just get sicker faster. Can you get “reef safe “ meds? They typically don’t work, but Ruby Reef Pro might have some benefit.

Nothing else you can really do I’m afraid.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry to hear about your problem The issue in Canada with fish meds keeps coming up here, I wish the was a good work around.
Turning the lights down won’t help. Raising the tank temperature will just speed up the infection, and without a concurrent medication, the fish would just get sicker faster. Can you get “reef safe “ meds? They typically don’t work, but Ruby Reef Pro might have some benefit.

Nothing else you can really do I’m afraid.

Jay

Really appreciate your response Jay. Yeah unfortunately the government banned the sale of fish meds a couple years ago which ticks everyone off to no end.

I have been doing some research and have seen the ruby reef pro a couple times. Maybe I'll look into it. I know a lot have that also say you're best to just feed well and go from there.

But from what I did see we can't even get the reef safe stuff either. Lol. Unfortunately.

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon product

you can try this. I have no experience ordering this product. But I have heard of people ordering from the USA and getting their shipments.

Amazon product
this is shipped by amazon. not Sure how good it is.

Amazon product
another shipped by amazon.

hope that helps, personally I would order the stuff shipped by amazon (the last two links), your guaranteed to get it.

edit sorry shipped by amazon. deleted the sold by amazon

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the 'wait and see' approach doesn't work... well... you don't need medications, hybrid TTM with peroxide would take care of everything. Then leave the DT fallow.

If you do TTM. I recommend cycling a tank for them to stay in while the DT runs fallow. I use clay bricks and fake plants in mine.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the temp? I know that helps in freshwater unsure about saltwater.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon product

you can try this. I have no experience ordering this product. But I have heard of people ordering from the USA and getting their shipments.

Amazon product
this is shipped by amazon. not Sure how good it is.

Amazon product
another shipped by amazon.

hope that helps, personally I would order the stuff shipped by amazon (the last two links), your guaranteed to get it.

edit sorry shipped by amazon. deleted the sold by amazon

Thank you. Ive tried ordering off amazon.ca before it always would stop me at the checkout :(

What is your opinion on the medications that say reef safe where they say you can dose in your DT

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having what appears to be good luck with polyp lab medic. It's just peroxide. If you can't order it you might be able to find a calculation for using literal pharmacy peroxide.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having what appears to be good luck with polyp lab medic. It's just peroxide. If you can't order it you might be able to find a calculation for using literal pharmacy peroxide.

Really? Very interesting. Did it kill any corals? Furthermore, do you have corals in the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a percarbonate, so an oxidizer, but not the same as H2O2.
Jay

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a 75 gallon tank with the given params below
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 78
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 2.5
Phosphates: 0
Ph: 8.2
I think that's pretty much it if there's other stuff you wanna know let me know and I'll check.

Anyways, as I said it's a 75 gallon, I have a new 20 gallon sump it's the sapphire 26, a refugium inside with chaeto and my tank has pods and coralline growth.

Stocking list below
2 clowns
1 cleaner wrasse
1 Tomini tang
1 Baby Mandarin goby
1 Lawnmower blenny
1 Springer damsel
1 Royal Gramma
5 trochus
1 cleaner shrimp
5 hermits
1 tuxedo urchin
1 variegated urchin

Now that the prelims are out of the way, essentially I've noticed my tang, gramma, blenny and cleaner wrasse have been scratching. This morning my Tang was fine but by evening (now) he has what looks like a visible scratch on his head. Upon looking closer at everyone I noticed my blenny has what looked like a sore on his head. Tang has ich spots and so does Gramma at a decent amount. Blenny has maybe 1 or 2 that I can see, wrasse I can't see any.

The problem I am having is this, I am from Canada and they have banned all fish meds, which is quite a pain. I don't want my fish to die and I'm not sure what to do. As of tonight I've pumped the feeding the twice a day and it seems like everyone is eating the brine and cyclopreeze judging by their gut sizes(mainly did the smaller shrimps because my fish were smaller at one point, the blenny doesn't eat much shrimp anymore because the Tang is an butt but I can confirm he is eating from his belly).

Like I said, I am kind of at a loss and am not sure what to do as I can't get any meds without 1. Taking the fish to a vet, which the stress alone would kill them and on top of that we don't have an exotic vet in my town and even if I did being laid off from work due to covid i wouldn't be able to afford it anyways. Or 2 trying to order through eBay in a round about way but even then it's likely to get stopped by customs because not even the fish stores here can get any meds in due to covid. 3. Even if I could medicate I don't exactly have the facilities to do so.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Would shutting the lights off help? Bumping up the temp? I just don't know what to do, the only thing I can try is the aforementioned double feeding per day just to hopefully get their immune systems to fight it off. I'm not sure how they got as I havent added any fish for a while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you so much!

EDIT: my little sharknose goby just passed and all of this started after that so idk if he was the difference maker keeping all the ich at bay.
I’m Canadian, I was able to get medications from amazon.com (not ca) as well as eBay and they cleared the border fine. I got copper power (Amazon), general cure (Amazon) and Seachem focus (eBay), the 3 major to treat most things. Just have to be creative! Good luck

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Canadian, I was able to get medications from amazon.com (not ca) as well as eBay and they cleared the border fine. I got copper power (Amazon), general cure (Amazon) and Seachem focus (eBay), the 3 major to treat most things. Just have to be creative! Good luck

Holy hell really? I tried amazon.com but it wouldn't ship to me in canada?

Was any of this disable in the DT or did you quarantine?

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also please invest in a Hanna checker if you go with copper, can’t put a price on protecting your pets!

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried to just dump and pray, after the second introduction of fish (tang, of course had ich ) I took them to QT and I’m going fallow now. The qt is complete and just a month left for fallow, everyone is happy and healthy now!

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some will ship some won’t, I’ll see if I can help you and drop some links, hold up! Keep in mind, sadly it did take a little bit to get to me (GTA) because if COVID

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to just dump and pray, after the second introduction of fish (tang, of course had ich ) I took them to QT and I’m going fallow now. The qt is complete and just a month left for fallow, everyone is happy and healthy now!

Very nice. So I take it pouring into the DT didn't go well?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will ship some won’t, I’ll see if I can help you and drop some links, hold up! Keep in mind, sadly it did take a little bit to get to me (GTA) because if COVID

Yeah that's fair. I wonder if since it's on .com if my prime will still work

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive had Great success with Polyp Lab Medic in treating ich in a mixed reef tank with no effects and wiped out both ich and velvet in 3 days

1599273237722.png

Back