Marine Pure Biofilter Media and Similar

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these are beneficial, wouldn't a test show decrease in nitrates with them? Seem like equivocal data out there.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the blocks before. While they work perfectly fine mine deteriorated overtime and left a hunch of sand like crap the sump. I won't use them again. I prefer to just put trays of rubble in. This is what I just put in my new build.
PXL_20240315_222422657.jpg

OP
OP
D

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up. I have rubble and larger rocks as well. Cleaned out the dsb so have extra room. Gonna try them as opposed to getting more rock.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most media is just a supplemental biological addition above and beond the rock in your tank.
For nitrate reduction I use an over size skimmer to remove doc before it breaks down.
I had a remote fuge with a 3+ inch deep sand bed that kept nitrate at close to zero.
For bio media in my new frag system I will use eheim substrate pro becuase I have a bunch stored away. I also like the bio rings like
Siporax as I have used them in the past. The Siporax does not break down same as the eheim product.
Some of the other media does breakdown over time especially if its moved around or handled alot.
I have never used the bricks or similar media but many have had it dislove and create a mess in the sump. Some people have used it with great success though.
Live rock rubble works but takes up alot of space and creates sand over time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back