Marine pure vs Seachem matrix

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 L seachem matrix in my sump and my ICP shows 11 mcg/l of Al. Wondering if I should pull it out.

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is difference in between the media and I personally swear by matrix. I think it is king in growing anaerobic bacteria which control no3, you do have to use a very specific amount since you can have too much of it and bottom your nitrates

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will do the same job. If you have eleventybillion square centimetres of area or slightly less than that doesn't really matter if you only have bioload for 25% of it in the first place. I always put 2-4 litres of Matrix in the sump and it always works well for me.
How would you suggest putting the matrix in? Do you have it in a bag ? I am thinking of putting it in my sump fuge area and don't know if I put it in loose or in some sort of media bag.
Here is a pic of my sump its a 110 g tank was just going to lay them on the bottom.
Any advice would be great

Attachments

• 20201206_163557.jpg
    20201206_163557.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 52

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used MP and Siporax.

IMO Siporax is the best I’ve used hands down. I’m running 2-3 liters in my new tank.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok with the siporax do you keep it in a media bag ? How big is your tank for 2 to 3 liters ?
I have used MP and it literally fell apart and made a mess for a week in the tank so I am sure it works great but just going to stay away from it on this tank

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone looked at these under a microscope to see the difference in porosity?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone looked at these under a microscope to see the difference in porosity?
I had marinepure before and it looks like it’s more porous as it’s man made. Matrix are basically natural pumice stones. My biggest concern is leeching aluminum. Also marinepure is expensive. $50 vs $35 for matrix.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax/ aka sintered glass, is the by far the best of all I have tried, AF biofil is a clise 2nd. I use 2 liters thrown in sump in same bags they come in. It takes time, but is quite effective.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax/ aka sintered glass, is the by far the best of all I have tried, AF biofil is a clise 2nd. I use 2 liters thrown in sump in same bags they come in. It takes time, but is quite effective.
A couple people now have said siporax is the best (@Reefahholic), but what makes it the best? How are you justifying that claim? What do you observe as the difference?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple people now have said siporax is the best (@Reefahholic), but what makes it the best? How are you justifying that claim? What do you observe as the difference?
Same here. It’s expensive and seems like not as porous as other products. No offense, a lot of people bought them and said it works because it’s expensive and from a reputable company.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use matrix and I never have issues with Nitrates, unless you count having to dose nitrates every now and again.
I keep it in media bags so that I can easily rinse it out every now and again.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax is my CHOICE and eheim efiuibtrate are my choices for 20 years. Matrix is just pumice and I got several batches contaminated with dense worthless rocks.

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RC had a huge thread going for awhile, years ago, but the tests of different medias revealed that siporax was the most effective as far as porosity goes. This gives more surface are for bacteria homing. Pumice is good as well, but again, not quite as porous as siporax(sintered glass). You can probably find y-tube videos with a simple search as well.

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. It’s expensive and seems like not as porous as other products. No offense, a lot of people bought them and said it works because it’s expensive and from a reputable company.

Not sure how you determined that siporax is not as porous, but maybe take the time to do a Google or y-tube search. Or, maybe my a a pic of my old tank running several liters is more convincing ;)

IMG_7818-1.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back