Marine Under Substrate Filter Idea

Ras Bubbles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats bubbling my fellow reefers & reefetts
I wanted to bounce some ideas off you, before I bring these thoughts to reality. I was given a tank with 2 holes drilled out on the bottom. I planned to use one or both covered by a manifold attached tendrils of perforated pvc half tubes; which will be covered with a layer of crushed coral rock and then sand.

Please take a look at my diagram and share your ideas. Thanks

IMG_3386.JPG

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren’t many reefs with a bottom filter nowadays.
Just browse the WWW or any random online vendor if they still have bottom filters for a marine for sale.

Many times with a reeftank you want accesss to have everything to clean without taking the tank apart.
With a bottom filter that ain’t a good thing.

OP
OP
Ras Bubbles

Ras Bubbles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm aware there is not very much out there but I also have not seen any with my design in particular. I'm trying to achieve a few things like constant substrate circulation and to minimize on the amount of detritus buildup within the substrate. My main concern at this point is the check valve, since I plan on installing a pump to suck nutrients out of the MD into the sump. Refer to my diagram.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why re-design/re-invent something that's already available.....undergravel filters:
Undergravel Filter.jpg

I'm sure @Paul B will have something to say about this. If I'm not mistaken, I believe most saltwater folks run their's in reverse.

And please, no check valves, unless you wish to totally empty your tank when that guy fails! :eek:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What want you to achieve with this construction - what´s your goal?

Sincerely Lasse

Haha. I read his post and almost tagged you @Lasse ! Glad I read comments first. This one is alllll yours my friend!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know something about check valves - it is not a question if they fail - the question is - when. Power break down - a sand grain in the check valve - rather wet around the aquaria and the fishes will be doing dry swim. If I understand your construction right - you want a reversed flow. IMO - its better to construct this with the type of under gravel filter of the type shown in post 5. Just put the outlet of the pump to the tubes. If you have the pump below the aquarium - you need to take up a hole to break any siphon that can happen.

If you aim to run the whole bed aerobic, like PaulB - the breakdown rate will be high enough to take care of your organic waste - no cleaning needed. If you chose to run the bed anaerobic - as I do. You should not take away any organic waste - you need it in the process. As usual - not over feed.

Sincerely Lasse

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, holes in the bottom and check vaults. Brings back memory's :) When I started working at my current job, ten years ago, we had a Friday routine. Turn the pumps off, crawl on the floor under the reef aquariums and listen if the check vault worked. Often it didn't, and we needed to give it some knocks with a screwdriver before it shut. Not the ultimate solution:D
We rebuilt it and removed the check vaults not long after we got the responsibility for the tanks.

The sand bed discussion I leave to @Lasse & Co

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some searching for "plenum." I believe you will find a good bit of pertinent information about the concept, though I don't know about the design.

OP
OP
Ras Bubbles

Ras Bubbles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know something about check valves - it is not a question if they fail - the question is - when. Power break down - a sand grain in the check valve - rather wet around the aquaria and the fishes will be doing dry swim. If I understand your construction right - you want a reversed flow. IMO - its better to construct this with the type of under gravel filter of the type shown in post 5. Just put the outlet of the pump to the tubes. If you have the pump below the aquarium - you need to take up a hole to break any siphon that can happen.

If you aim to run the whole bed aerobic, like PaulB - the breakdown rate will be high enough to take care of your organic waste - no cleaning needed. If you chose to run the bed anaerobic - as I do. You should not take away any organic waste - you need it in the process. As usual - not over feed.

Sincerely Lasse

I guess I just needed confirmation, I know good and well that check valves are unreliable. Just wanted to do something with those 2 awkwardly placed holes on the bottom of the tank. Maybe I can utilize them for a sort of closed loop system.

Thanks for all the feedback; both the benign and malignant ones.
Well appreciated!!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why re-design/re-invent something that's already available.....undergravel filters:
Undergravel Filter.jpg

I'm sure @Paul B will have something to say about this. If I'm not mistaken, I believe most saltwater folks run their's in reverse.
Thats exactly what I put in my 20 gallon fuge. Reverse flow seems to be working fine.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 20.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back