Marine velvet or ich. I don't know

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be any benefit to placing say an 8x5 acrylic tray with sand from the DT (which is loaded with copepods) and some rubble rock from my fuge to create sort of a pod condo and mandarin hangout? I know it's no comparison to the 75G pod rich DT, but maybe provide some refuge for him till I can make better arrangements? Does CP kill pods? I've read mixed things on this.

CP kills pods. :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( Sorry about your mandy. If you can feed more than several times a day, and get him to eat frozen... anything, and do this every day, then you could QT him with the rest of the fish. Sounds totally doable! ;) :rolleyes:

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just began CP treatment yesterday with my fish in quarantine. Now being able to view them much closer I was hoping y'all may be able to help with some symptom/behavior diagnoses as I'm still trying to narrow things down.

My chromis, is being very erratic, swimming frantically, I've seen some yawning, and he has developed cloudy discolored patches on his scales. I also noticed my yellow clown goby flashing on his side (looks to be targeting gills)

Could this just be a case of flukes? I have prazipro on hand and from what I understand it's ok to use this and CP together. FWIW I have an Aquaclear 110 and a 20-60g airstone running to keep oxygen high.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just began CP treatment yesterday with my fish in quarantine. Now being able to view them much closer I was hoping y'all may be able to help with some symptom/behavior diagnoses as I'm still trying to narrow things down.

My chromis, is being very erratic, swimming frantically, I've seen some yawning, and he has developed cloudy discolored patches on his scales. I also noticed my yellow clown goby flashing on his side (looks to be targeting gills)

Could this just be a case of flukes? I have prazipro on hand and from what I understand it's ok to use this and CP together. FWIW I have an Aquaclear 110 and a 20-60g airstone running to keep oxygen high.

It does sound like flukes. You can use prazi with CP but it has to be the powdered form, not the liquid that's in a bottle.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Chromis' by nature develop this patchiness from stress? The majority of issues I've had were with the 3 (now down to 1) chromis, I don't think it's uronema because I don't see the distinct red sore like patches, it seems like they stress super easy when the rest of the fish seem totally fine, the chromis is always super skittish

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Chromis' by nature develop this patchiness from stress? The majority of issues I've had were with the 3 (now down to 1) chromis, I don't think it's uronema because I don't see the distinct red sore like patches, it seems like they stress super easy when the rest of the fish seem totally fine, the chromis is always super skittish

I don't know if it's from stress, but I often see the smaller chromis start losing a few scales here and there. The larger chromis seem to do much better.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this one is (was) the largest of the 3 I had, but now it's by itself so maybe that's stressing it out, but out of all the fish, the chromis' seem more fickle and easily stressed

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this one is (was) the largest of the 3 I had, but now it's by itself so maybe that's stressing it out, but out of all the fish, the chromis' seem more fickle and easily stressed

They certainly can be. I've had many issues with chromis at the store. We have a 50% loss rate when we kept them in a coral system. Now that we keep them in the copper system it's been reduced to about 15% loss. Though, they are always small chromis (about an inch or less). We just got in some medium size chromis, ones that aren't full grown but still between 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches in size. We haven't lost a single one! Much better success rate!! This is only one batch of larger ones though, so I'd want to order in a few more and see how they do before I made a real judgement on it.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Well, after this "experiment" I think I am writing chromis' off, as cool as they are schooling together, short of having a massive system where I could keep a huge school, they've actually been nothing but problems for me

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Well, after this "experiment" I think I am writing chromis' off, as cool as they are schooling together, short of having a massive system where I could keep a huge school, they've actually been nothing but problems for me

Yeah, I got over chromis a while ago. They can be cool, but it takes a large group just to end up with a few to school together.... without extraordinary circumstances and QT.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like flukes. You can use prazi with CP but it has to be the powdered form, not the liquid that's in a bottle.

Wow there is so little room for error in so much of this. So why is it that prazipro (liquid) can't be used and powder can? Is it some type of interaction issue with powder/liquid?

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for reference here is a shot of my chromis and the discoloration/blotches I mentioned. This same thing happened to my other two, and eventually caused them to die which is why I'm taking this whole thing on though at the time I attributed that to inter chromis bullying.

Also a shot of my yellow clown goby who has had these growths/dots on and off, sometimes hard to notice as they can almost be skin colored, but I have noticed him scratching on the PVC.

Am I correct in saying CP only treats the free swimming parasites? So whatever is currently ON the fish will not be affected by meds.

Dan
ab849b639ee23f59997c641b76639240.jpg
2edbdfeee5faa708dcd8c834ef0dc802.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow there is so little room for error in so much of this. So why is it that prazipro (liquid) can't be used and powder can? Is it some type of interaction issue with powder/liquid?
It's the part of prazipro that makes it a liquid that reacts badly to CP. It's not an active ingredient. I'm sorry but I just can't think of the proper words for it.
Am I correct in saying CP only treats the free swimming parasites? So whatever is currently ON the fish will not be affected by meds.
Yes. The same is true with copper.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said it before and I'll say it again....should have got another puppy [emoji23]

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the part of prazipro that makes it a liquid that reacts badly to CP. It's not an active ingredient. I'm sorry but I just can't think of the proper words for it.

Yes. The same is true with copper.

So let's now say hypothetically that a good intentioned person mixed an appropriate dose of prazipro with the cp treatment, clearly getting lost in the abundance of reading material saying prazi was OK with CP, but not being clear that it's only Praziquantel not prazipro, will a 50% water change help to rectify that? (Asking for a friend) [emoji15]

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help yes. Another would be needed shortly after, or running carbon or poly filters for a while.

I'm going to do 50% and carbon, monitor and go from there seeing as I have the time with the FALLOW period to start the treatment over fresh now that I know that...thanks again

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back