Marine Velvet round two?

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel isn't looking too good. He's acting normal but he's starting to look like someone sprinkled tiny little bits of salt on him. If he has marine velvet, how long will it be until I can notice him acting different. The specks on him are tiny and more noticeable on his fins.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel isn't looking too good. He's acting normal but he's starting to look like someone sprinkled tiny little bits of salt on him. If he has marine velvet, how long will it be until I can notice him acting different. The specks on him are tiny and more noticeable on his fins.

The tank is finally almost perfect and corals are growing fast. I really don't need this right now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds more like ich (salt sprinkles here & there) than marine velvet (fish is completely covered in sprinkles). Other behavioral symptoms of velvet include: heavy breathing, swimming into the flow of a powerhead, reclusive behavior, sensitive to light.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting infer knew why my power brown liked swimming directly into the flow of the power head last time he had arise velvet. I just though he thought it was fun

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the NLS ick powder, which is a form of chloroquine phosphate. It can treat for ich, marine velvet, and brooklynella.

10 days at the suggested dosage worked for me. Unfortunately, you will have to catch the fish out and put them into a separate QT.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish were swimming in front of the powerheads at night and were very sensitive to light.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine velvet usually kills a fish with in days IMO. Even with ich your fish will have the same symptoms as MV. Breathing hard, scratching, white spots. Is it just one fish? Was it added recently? Are your Params in check?

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. I don't know if it was just a quick spike and it left but it got worse over a day, I fed him some algae sheets and nows he's all cleared up

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%

Back