Marinepur vs. kiln bricks

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't kiln bricks ceramic? Would it be the same material as Marinepur but much much cheaper?

Just a thought I had and wondered if anyone knew the answer.

Marinepur block-$50
K-23 fire brick-$5

What is the difference if any?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire bricks are made with fire clay which is "mineral aggregate composed of hydrous silicates of aluminium (Al2O. 2SiO. 2H2O) with or without free silica." Might not be a good idea combing aluminium and salt water. There's already some issues with alum. leaching from Marinepure products. I would imagine those concerns might increase with fire bricks. Could test by placing a fire brick into a small QT, run it for 30 days or so, and then take a water sample and have it tested for alum and other chemicals that may leach from the brick.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire bricks are made with fire clay which is "mineral aggregate composed of hydrous silicates of aluminium (Al2O. 2SiO. 2H2O) with or without free silica." Might not be a good idea combing aluminium and salt water. There's already some issues with alum. leaching from Marinepure products. I would imagine those concerns might increase with fire bricks. Could test by placing a fire brick into a small QT, run it for 30 days or so, and then take a water sample and have it tested for alum and other chemicals that may leach from the brick.
It would be worth the experiment if someone else hasn't already tried.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back