Mark's 150 gallon SPS heavy reef

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of updates, let's get caught up.

I've been trying to get the tank to settle down after the disastrous carbon dosing experiment.

The Lokani went through another round of RTN and stopped again. It's in back under lower light now and in the process I made two frags. One died, one lived, so now I'm at 2 frags plus what remains of the original colony.

My KH reached 7.0 a few days ago and I was happy I finally managed 7 ... a few days later it started to bother me since this tank hasn't hit 7 for months so I tested again, 9.1 KH! BAH! Doser turned off, Kalk diluted the first day, then resumed at full strength once I confirmed Alk was dropping at a decent rate. Since then I've bee obsessed with day vs night Alk usage so I'm doing multiple tests daily to try and figure out current daily usage plus day vs night usage. My concern is that with the Alk usage rising I'm actually becoming more unstable by dosing 24/7 rather than just during the daylight hours. THis is a meaningless fact in younger tanks but as coral volume increases and daily dosing increases these swings can become a real issue.

For the sake of discussion, lets say my daily Alk usage is 2 KH. If I dose that over 24 hours then my morning Alk will be 8, end of light cycle will be 7, and then it will climb to 8 by the next morning if we assume corals do not use any Alk at night (which is what many are confirming). This assumes I'm dosing enough for 1 KH during the 12 hour day and another 1 KH overnight so the drop is only half of the total daily usage.

Maybe 1 KH is no big deal, but what if My Alk usage is something crazy, like 6 KH daily?

Suddenly I'm doing daily swings from 9KH in the morning to 6KH in the evening. That's pretty flipping huge! As you can see, continuing 24 hour dosing and continuing to raise the amount as the tank grows actually decreases stability due to the difference in day/night usage.

That's my theory. I don't have an expensive 24/7 Alk tester but I am doing numerous tests here for the next day to see if I see the pattern. Because my KH spiked to 9 my doser is off but Kalk is still being added via my timed topoff every 15 minutes. It's saturated Kalk so using the calculator and figuring my usage is about .8 gallons daily, this equates to 0.6KH of Kalk added daily.

So far my daily measurements with Salifert, backed up by Hanna, are:

9.3 at 4pm
8.8 at 6:30pm
8.6 at 8:30pm
8.5 at 6AM (Kalk back to full strength, my estimate is + .3 to .4 KH overnight)
8.1 at 4PM
7.9 at 6:30PM
7.7 at 8:30PM
8.0 at 6:30AM

I expected Alk to rise due to Kalk dosing and it did. I expected up to .3 and testing twice I got 8.0 twice so I think this is a decent reading. There should have been some usage after the 8:30 reading due to the blue LEDs being on full blast until 9:30. Most likely I am dosing more Kalk than I thought, which is likely since it's a guess based on how long topoff lasts. 5 gallons last a little over 5 days. Remember I do timed topoff with Kalk, it's not float based, so dosing is consistent.

So, if all goes as expected this evenings Alk should be 7.2 KH, tomorrow morning 7.5, tomorrow evening 6.7 if I don't turn on the doser.

Running the calculator and getting the amount to raise Alk from 6.7 to 7.5 I get aprox 80ml (I'm using 140 gallons as tank volume + sump - equipment and rocks).

Doser is set to 120ml over 24 hours so what I think I will do is put it on a timer so it goes on Saturday at 10am and off at 10pm. This should dose 60ml which is not enough to fully maintain Alk. A safe start. If this works then in the end I will have more stable Alk by only dosing during lights on.

Of course this assumes that the Alk spike was short and not too damaging. Right now everything looks good but Alk spikes can show damage days or weeks later so we'll see.

What's left of the Lokani
6DlfkKs.jpg

After latest rescape and slight trim. I wanted to get more light in front to safe some dying/shaded corals. Big white coral in the middle back is the skeleton of my Purple Stylo from my first crash over a year ago. Makes a good temporary fragish rack. My wife, who is NOT into reefing, saved it for me after finding it in my death bucket and washing it off.
ZUWaBqh.jpg

Primary Alk consumer
l83CS8Y.jpg

Blue LED fun.
PMF7bcG.jpg

Pink Milli left, Palmer's Blue right, Big Valida below. To my eye pink glows pink, Palmers same, polyps of valida are invisible.
xzi1aXF.jpg
Just FYI after using my alk monitor for a while now I've noticed my tank consumes almost 75% of the daily total during lights on and almost 50% during peak par, with most of that occurring in the 2nd half of the peak. I now dose balling accordingly and my alk has never been more stable. It's not just me either, many people have observed the same thing. Obviously this is primarily due to peak photosynthesis but also due to higher pH during lights on and therefore increased calcification rates and precipitation.

I have a very young tank with only frags and mini colonies which only consume 1 dKH per day, I'd imagine a more mature tank would see an even larger percentage difference as calcification needs increased while daily precipitation remained relatively consistent. I don't have any visible precipitation or anything like that but it's always occurring in one way or another in all of our tanks, as I am sure you are aware.

Last edited:
OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI after using my alk monitor for a while now I've noticed my tank consumes almost 75% of the daily total during lights on and almost 50% during peak par, with most of that occurring in the 2nd half of the peak. I now dose balling accordingly and my alk has never been more stable. It's not just me either, many people have observed the same thing. Obviously this is primarily due to peak photosynthesis but also due to higher pH during lights on and therefore increased calcification rates and precipitation.

I have a very young tank with only frags and mini colonies which only consume 1 dKH per day, I'd imagine a more mature tank would see an even larger percentage difference as calcification needs increased while daily precipitation remained relatively consistent. I don't have any visible precipitation or anything like that but it's always occurring in one way or another in all of our tanks, as I am sure you are aware.

Thanks, that's great information. I'm coming to the same conclusion, as a tank ages and SPS colonies mature 24 hour dosing creates less and less stability based on the uneven usage.

After the 20 hours without power I've started to test again. These numbers are rather useless other than just to document where I'm at.

7pm, 7.3 KH
9am 7.7 KH just topoff on. Hmmm. Maybe a bad measurement last night.
1pm 8.0 KH Hanna - T5's turn on, full LED
6pm 7.3 Salifert, 7.6 Hanna - end of T5 cycle

Doser is still off, will measure Alk tomorrow morning to see where I'm at. Right now the Kalk with timed topoff is keeping it fairly stable, meaning growth has really dropped off ... which might be expected after 20 hours of dark.

Generator is set for 6 months of storage. Added 1 oz of Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer, ran for 5 minutes, then turned off fuel line to starve the motor as instructed. Will need to start and run for 15 minutes in November or December, plus topoff with gas and more StaBil.

This little generator was $250 list, I got it on sale for $200.
mj9qLxP.jpg

Kept two tanks alive, this one and my little 40 breeder.
y59pCKT.jpg

h98XpOJ.jpg

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to pick up a generator. Is there a slightly larger model or would you recommend this one?

There's a lot of generators out there, most more powerful than this one. I sized this to run a pump in each tank plus heaters with 400 watts to spare. This generator is NOISY, ones made by Honda are very nice and super quiet but I didn't want to pay over $500 for something I might never use.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm still wrestling the beast but I have it pinned down below 7 now and to the point where, barring any unexpected events, I should be able to get the Alk usage and dosing locked in.

awSaUS3.png

Still seeing the small rise in Alk due to Kalk dosing, which is not a problem IMO. The 4PM to 8PM drop yesterday was a little steep so I've upped the daily dosing by 15ml to compensate. I'm not home at noon or I could get more data points.

Doser on at 10am, off at 10pm. Alk started around 6.7 and I suspect it rises to near 7 before peak lighting, then dropped down to the measured 6.6 near the end of the light cycle. I know I am sick and tired of all the testing so as soon as I'm comfortable with the day to day stability then I'm done with this round.

You can probably guess that running a shorter dosing cycle and dosing more might lead to more stability, maybe, though at some point dumping too much 2-part in at once will not be a good thing.

My goal is still 7, though I'm perfectly fine running a little below that.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to do a schooch maneuver last weekend. The schooch is something us non artsy fartsy type reefers do to free up space without having to trim and make everything look nice. :D

The left side of the tank was rescaped when I had the crash over a year ago, the right side is what needed scooting. I figured if anything big broke, well it needed trimming anyway. Naturally nothing broke. One of the biggest problems was lack of light in front as the acros had started to shade everything below. Second was a sarmentosa I had attached to a mag rock on the back wall. While I wasn't paying attention this beast had grown huge and fat and can no longer be supported by the magnet.

I scooted the entire right side (a large rock shelf piece suspended by rocks on both ends) back as far as I could, then moved a few corals around to more appropriate positions.

Sarmentosa with the remains of the Lokani upper right.
uUtBJl4.jpg

New center area with a rather large blue/green stag that I had bought as a small frag and boom, growing about as fast as the slimer.
R9Gn2Wm.jpg

FTS using my new Fathers day / Birthday gift, a Nikkor 10-20mm wide angle lens
rSD0uc8.jpg

XLuHeqV.jpg

Wide angle slimer. Blue stag front, horrida on the left.
MYo943q.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of updates, let's get caught up.

I've been trying to get the tank to settle down after the disastrous carbon dosing experiment.

The Lokani went through another round of RTN and stopped again. It's in back under lower light now and in the process I made two frags. One died, one lived, so now I'm at 2 frags plus what remains of the original colony.

My KH reached 7.0 a few days ago and I was happy I finally managed 7 ... a few days later it started to bother me since this tank hasn't hit 7 for months so I tested again, 9.1 KH! BAH! Doser turned off, Kalk diluted the first day, then resumed at full strength once I confirmed Alk was dropping at a decent rate. Since then I've bee obsessed with day vs night Alk usage so I'm doing multiple tests daily to try and figure out current daily usage plus day vs night usage. My concern is that with the Alk usage rising I'm actually becoming more unstable by dosing 24/7 rather than just during the daylight hours. THis is a meaningless fact in younger tanks but as coral volume increases and daily dosing increases these swings can become a real issue.

For the sake of discussion, lets say my daily Alk usage is 2 KH. If I dose that over 24 hours then my morning Alk will be 8, end of light cycle will be 7, and then it will climb to 8 by the next morning if we assume corals do not use any Alk at night (which is what many are confirming). This assumes I'm dosing enough for 1 KH during the 12 hour day and another 1 KH overnight so the drop is only half of the total daily usage.

Maybe 1 KH is no big deal, but what if My Alk usage is something crazy, like 6 KH daily?

Suddenly I'm doing daily swings from 9KH in the morning to 6KH in the evening. That's pretty flipping huge! As you can see, continuing 24 hour dosing and continuing to raise the amount as the tank grows actually decreases stability due to the difference in day/night usage.

That's my theory. I don't have an expensive 24/7 Alk tester but I am doing numerous tests here for the next day to see if I see the pattern. Because my KH spiked to 9 my doser is off but Kalk is still being added via my timed topoff every 15 minutes. It's saturated Kalk so using the calculator and figuring my usage is about .8 gallons daily, this equates to 0.6KH of Kalk added daily.

So far my daily measurements with Salifert, backed up by Hanna, are:

9.3 at 4pm
8.8 at 6:30pm
8.6 at 8:30pm
8.5 at 6AM (Kalk back to full strength, my estimate is + .3 to .4 KH overnight)
8.1 at 4PM
7.9 at 6:30PM
7.7 at 8:30PM
8.0 at 6:30AM

I expected Alk to rise due to Kalk dosing and it did. I expected up to .3 and testing twice I got 8.0 twice so I think this is a decent reading. There should have been some usage after the 8:30 reading due to the blue LEDs being on full blast until 9:30. Most likely I am dosing more Kalk than I thought, which is likely since it's a guess based on how long topoff lasts. 5 gallons last a little over 5 days. Remember I do timed topoff with Kalk, it's not float based, so dosing is consistent.

So, if all goes as expected this evenings Alk should be 7.2 KH, tomorrow morning 7.5, tomorrow evening 6.7 if I don't turn on the doser.

Running the calculator and getting the amount to raise Alk from 6.7 to 7.5 I get aprox 80ml (I'm using 140 gallons as tank volume + sump - equipment and rocks).

Doser is set to 120ml over 24 hours so what I think I will do is put it on a timer so it goes on Saturday at 10am and off at 10pm. This should dose 60ml which is not enough to fully maintain Alk. A safe start. If this works then in the end I will have more stable Alk by only dosing during lights on.

Of course this assumes that the Alk spike was short and not too damaging. Right now everything looks good but Alk spikes can show damage days or weeks later so we'll see.

What's left of the Lokani
6DlfkKs.jpg

After latest rescape and slight trim. I wanted to get more light in front to safe some dying/shaded corals. Big white coral in the middle back is the skeleton of my Purple Stylo from my first crash over a year ago. Makes a good temporary fragish rack. My wife, who is NOT into reefing, saved it for me after finding it in my death bucket and washing it off.
ZUWaBqh.jpg

Primary Alk consumer
l83CS8Y.jpg

Blue LED fun.
PMF7bcG.jpg

Pink Milli left, Palmer's Blue right, Big Valida below. To my eye pink glows pink, Palmers same, polyps of valida are invisible.
xzi1aXF.jpg

Mark, I've always wondered about the alk dipping during the day and rising at night. Some tanks with serious growth would have pretty large swings. I believe @Renton777 got the alk monitor and changed his dosing so it doesn't dip or rise during the day now.

@bubbaque speaks the truth. I have tweeked my dosing schedule a bit since this post: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rentons-custom-200.101447/page-28#post-4621975 , but it give you a good idea of the difference in Alk demand my tank has during the day vs. nigtht

I must say you guys have me completely rethinking my dosing scheme. I have been doing the exact opposite by only dosing Alk at night. I've thought of switching to a 24/7 dosing scheme which sounds much better than what I'm doing but now I'm strongly considering switching to dosing during the photoperiod.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to do a schooch maneuver last weekend. The schooch is something us non artsy fartsy type reefers do to free up space without having to trim and make everything look nice. :D

The left side of the tank was rescaped when I had the crash over a year ago, the right side is what needed scooting. I figured if anything big broke, well it needed trimming anyway. Naturally nothing broke. One of the biggest problems was lack of light in front as the acros had started to shade everything below. Second was a sarmentosa I had attached to a mag rock on the back wall. While I wasn't paying attention this beast had grown huge and fat and can no longer be supported by the magnet.

I scooted the entire right side (a large rock shelf piece suspended by rocks on both ends) back as far as I could, then moved a few corals around to more appropriate positions.

Sarmentosa with the remains of the Lokani upper right.
uUtBJl4.jpg

New center area with a rather large blue/green stag that I had bought as a small frag and boom, growing about as fast as the slimer.
R9Gn2Wm.jpg

FTS using my new Fathers day / Birthday gift, a Nikkor 10-20mm wide angle lens
rSD0uc8.jpg

XLuHeqV.jpg

Wide angle slimer. Blue stag front, horrida on the left.
MYo943q.jpg
That’s a beautiful green SPS coral on the last picture Mark, although there all beautiful!

Very nice.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to apologize again for the lack of updates.

I had a pretty serious calcium issue over the last months. The calcium doser was falling behind, not dosing as much, and I haphazardly thought I had made up for it. Calcium hit a low of 270 by the time my lazy butt got around to testing. This is the reason I lost the red and yellow acro and I almost lost a few others. It took an entire gallon of calcium from the BRS two part mixture, in addition to regular dosing, to raise calcium back up. After a couple of weeks with decent params growth exploded. Every acro has a cluster of new growth at the tips, even my blue stag, which has never returned to blue since the alk spike over a year ago, experienced some new growth.

Other than two part I am still dosing 1 drop of PhosphateRx daily plus MicroE and new is 5 drops daily of Pohls Extra special because I had some to use up.

ZSpg8V7.jpg

EEz7QWN.jpg

4LMY294.jpg

Dlk5cls.jpg

#Katropora
OOO7gWP.jpg

Yea, I have two large colnies now. :)
rUd6R2J.jpg

VYa9Hxl.jpg

6IsDNNo.jpg

Almost lost this one. It colored back up first, base growth is very slow but it's growing again.
WMBlOqq.jpg

eeMuPQW.jpg

Almost lost my lokani as well, vortunately as soon as calcium was fixed it stabilized. Now I have this and two healthy frags.
Alhyt4D.jpg

72KvOc4.jpg

A36VI0q.jpg

DBR48ds.jpg

pyOuWmG.jpg

pNbqsFz.jpg

AVUO9zs.jpg

5cZIgMM.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks great.

I do not remember if you had a calcium or kalk reactor and if not you may have to add to keep up...
There is a point where dosing just is not economical to me or you are dosing so much it is just hard to keep up.

Plus having two ways to keep up alk and calcium is like having two heaters. If one fails you still are getting some.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great.

I do not remember if you had a calcium or kalk reactor and if not you may have to add to keep up...
There is a point where dosing just is not economical to me or you are dosing so much it is just hard to keep up.

Plus having two ways to keep up alk and calcium is like having two heaters. If one fails you still are getting some.

Two part, BRS bulk. I do not want to run a calcium reactor, long story, but no pressurized CO2 for me. :)

Very nice, Mark! Your corals are looking very colorful and healthy.

What’s your no3 and po4 currently?

Thanks.

Haven't tested for months. I tend not to test since that's what caused all my issues when I first setup this tank. Last tested PO4 was .02 (very low) and NO3 was zip. I have a lot of algae growing on rocks and tank walls, kept in check by all my algae eaters.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another late update, apologies.

I finally got tired of the slimer.

bdbw0cs.jpg

gljuVao.jpg

Latest FTS
7OWGnMT.jpg

Latest readings low again, and the calcium doser is still irregular even after a head replacement so it must be the motor.

KH 6.1
Calcium 355
Mg 1350

Dumped 430ml of calcium in at once. Everything seemed to love it. Raised Alk to 6.5 since I never see any issues correcting Alk when it's below 7KH.

Some top downs.

Horrida
MAfTUki.jpg

Pinkish milli
5WD9jAe.jpg

Lokani continues a nice recovery
K1BmilY.jpg

The red cap and setosa enjoying rapid growth now that the shade f the slimer is gone. As you can see, though, the slimer will never be gone.
nwxgkuX.jpg

Reddish acro doing well
hPNkuzM.jpg

Unnamed, Unnamed, and Red Robin. Miami Orchid is at the top.
m4SOTd1.jpg

Years in recovery, I bought this locally, crashed the tank, a small bit survived but stayed brown for a year, now growth exploding. It's finally back to the color I bought it at.
vhJtDdH.jpg

The Red Robin has been a steady red for a while now. It may be the fixed calcium issue, it may be the 5 drops of Pohls Extra super duper special I'm adding daily, it may be the age of the coral or the tank. /shrug

EZyz6Ul.jpg

I need to get out my wide angle lens to get the big acros on the right side of the tank. A nice problem to have, but if this tank is to survive I'm going to have to buckle down and do some very heavy trimming .... maybe next year.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back