Mark's 150 gallon SPS heavy reef

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

This tank is a combination of 2 smaller tanks and has been running for about 9 months now. I've become rather addicted to growing and coloring Acropora of late but this tank is still a mixed reef.

Sept 2018
5cZIgMM.jpg

May 2017, back in shape after a rescape, pest coral removal, and a mini crash.
Y07WWHB.jpg

April 2015 FTS

Tank Specs:

Marineland/Perfecto 150 gallon (72x18x27) tank with dual corner Durso overflows and glass tops
Monterey Stand

2 - MP40's and 2 - RW 15's
Ecotech Battery Backup
ATI Sunpower 6x80W supplemented by 2 BuildMyLED 72" strip lights (20K 3 channel and a custom ~18K)

Trigger Systems Ruby 36S sump (36x15x16)

EHEIM 1262 for the return pump
Eheim-JAGER TS Heater - 250 watt
Reef Octopus XP-2000 Cone skimmer with neck extender
TLF PhosBan reactor with GFO

Bubble Magus doser using TLF C-Balance 2 part

APEX Controller

KH is kept steady near 7.8, Calcium around 420 (I rarely test), Mag around 1500.

I had a long standing issue with high nitrates but I've recently dropped it down to 2 by using Red Sea NOPOX and BioDigest. Phosphate has been kept low using the GFO reactor, last test was .025 using Salifert high rez, but not sure of the accuracy. I currently have the reactor off while dosing NOPOX.

Last edited:
OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank started out under all LEDs, I used and still own these Maxspect Razors.

5llv.jpg

I was not happy with the shadowing, though the coral colors looked great from the top looking down. I added a BML strip in from aimed back but was still not completely happy so I switched to T5. I wouldn't say the tank looks better with T5's, just different. I do have more color looking into the front of the tank but I've lost a lot of shimmer and brilliance to the non acro SPS and LPS corals. This is why I still have the Razors. :)

Some tank setup shots.

h0jt.jpg

t7t12.jpg

kubr.jpg

Installing shower pan liner, which saved a lot of grief when my skimmer overflowed into a bucket which overflowed into the liner. Yum :)
bhod.jpg

hzlb.jpg

Switch to T5's and added a simple board to act as a light shield.
P7HTol.jpg

The only other major changes I can think of was the need to run the skimmer intake to a conveniently located small outside window and adding a RO/DI topoff container sized to fit snugly on the right side of the sump.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just after I switched lighting I carelessly let my Alk spike to over 10 from 7, which harmed a lot of SPS. I lost most of the larger birdsnests (saved frags) and a few acros, while the others browned out. This was in November 2014 and recovery took until late January. Now I have some acros with good color, and some that remain brown, so I'm at the next stage of the SPS addiction, getting nutrients low and figuring how much to feed. :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice looking sps. Agreed good color.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those drains... I know gravity will take over but that's kind of crazy going down and then up. Why not hard plumb them in and make it more of a decline so it doesn't have to go through a pee trap type of deal?

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those drains... I know gravity will take over but that's kind of crazy going down and then up. Why not hard plumb them in and make it more of a decline so it doesn't have to go through a pee trap type of deal?

Not a plumber and no real love of rigid PVC. :) Unless a hose breaks and falls outside of the sump worse case scenario is a leak fills the sump area with a few gallons of water before return section runs dry. A clog would also dry the return section before any overflow happens. I can easily remove the hose to clean it, then replace. I'm not for a second suggesting this is better than hard plumbing. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of color changes. I've got a recirculating reactor now with all-in-one biopellets that I'm trying out. If these don't work well I'll probably use regular biopellets for nitrate and GFI for phosphate reduction.

5hziCt.jpg

4NvuZI.jpg

mrjlopez731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice colors and the mix reef is awesome. I have to hand it to you, you did a great job with your tank. All the way from the beginning of the building it together. Thank for letting us be a part of your piece of the ocean.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I updated, thanks for all the compliments above.

mOTZNY.jpg

Colors are improving, blues and greens are better, reds not so much. I've been slowly reducing my lighting schedule, I think it was way too long, over 12 hours total. I've also replaced the T5 bulbs with all Giesemann this time around.

-front-
BML 20K MC LED 50/100
Actinic Blue
AB Azure
Actinic Blue
Super Actinic
Super Purple
Super Actinic
BML 20K MC 50/100
-back-

This gives me 375 PAR at the base of the highest acro, 320 1/2 way down, 240 on the sandbed.

A few corals pics.

i94F9U.jpg

5CKAVm.jpg

1YoWsS.jpg

KmF6t7.jpg

NHsVCd.jpg

ZBc2f4.jpg

V26Dew.jpg

uHNAFB.jpg

9MaP1h.jpg

PD7WPL.jpg

mrzydu.jpg

The way I have my lighting setup, if anyone is interested. :) When this picture was taken I had the Giesemann Actinic Blue in the middle and a Blue+ on the left (rear). You can see how much greener the blue+ bulb is. I prefer the Giesemann, at the moment anyway. :D
ibCDc9.jpg

Reefmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of color changes. I've got a recirculating reactor now with all-in-one biopellets that I'm trying out. If these don't work well I'll probably use regular biopellets for nitrate and GFI for phosphate reduction.

5hziCt.jpg

4NvuZI.jpg
It's been three months now. How is the all in one pellets working out for you?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back