OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been three months now. How is the all in one pellets working out for you?

I'm not thrilled, but I think my reactor is pretty crappy as well. A lot of brown dust is coming out and messing up the sump and while Nitrates dropped they seemed to bottom out about 2 and then PO4 started to rise. I've been dosing 1/4 tsp of CaNO3 every 3 days and adding 5ml of NOPOX to help things along. The biopellets should be doing all the work now and they're not. My fault, reactors fault, skimmers fault??? I'm focussed on keeping all the params steady so whatever works, even if I have to keep dosing NOPOX at low doses.

My goal is around 5 nitrates and < .06 PO4. KH has been steady right around 8.

The tank looks great!

Thanks!

Reefmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not thrilled, but I think my reactor is pretty crappy as well. A lot of brown dust is coming out and messing up the sump and while Nitrates dropped they seemed to bottom out about 2 and then PO4 started to rise. I've been dosing 1/4 tsp of CaNO3 every 3 days and adding 5ml of NOPOX to help things along. The biopellets should be doing all the work now and they're not. My fault, reactors fault, skimmers fault??? I'm focussed on keeping all the params steady so whatever works, even if I have to keep dosing NOPOX at low doses.

My goal is around 5 nitrates and < .06 PO4. KH has been steady right around 8.

Thanks!
Thought about going with regular biopellets? I figured the all in one would kick up dust particles. Excellent tank by the way

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Jeremy!

Thought about going with regular biopellets? I figured the all in one would kick up dust particles. Excellent tank by the way

Yep, will probably transition to regular biopellets or take it offline and dose NOPOX with regular additions of CaNO3 to help keep PO4 low.

Thanks!

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Thank you for sharing. I am currently running GFO and manually dosing NOPOX also to keep nitrate and phosphate down.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Thank you for sharing. I am currently running GFO and manually dosing NOPOX also to keep nitrate and phosphate down.

Thanks.

I have been slowly reducing my PAR levels (raising up the T5 fixture) on top from 450 down to 375. This puts PAR on the sandbed at 240. I've also been reducing the photo period. It's been working well to help color up corals but the anemone suddenly decided it was time to move after a year in generally the same spot. GOING UP!

I stayed up late and was able to catch it with barely any foot attached, teased it off, and put him into the sump. He'll be going into my 29 gallon today.

On the move.
Bk0FcO.jpg

Carefully placed a rock in his way.
Cv0bxi.jpg

At 10:30PM he starts to detach. I have all the pumps on wave mode to help prevent him getting sucked in so I turn them off, carefully remove the new rock, and then tease the foot loose with a pair of plastic tipped tongs.
2mbtiu.jpg

Sumped!
7dRS19.jpg

It was an interesting experience that I would rather not repeat ever in my life. I've been really lucky with this guy because he never moved.

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine up and decided to move a week ago. It's freaking nerve wracking. He seems content where he is now, but I have a feeling he will move again. His bubble tips are'nt bubbling. They are stretched out like he's hungry or wanting more light. Been that way ever since I pulled him from the 29.

Your tank is looking great and the photography top notch!

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was organizing my photos on imageshack into albums this morning so I could see what kind of growth and color changes I've been getting. Some of these acros are growing a lot faster than I thought they were. All I need is the colors.

Maricultured Valida.

May 5th
4k4IqI.jpg

August 19th
CSoKGM.jpg

Teal Stag. Growing almost as fast as the slimer.

May 5th
Onrihg.jpg

August 19th
sl1yaq.jpg

Not so Red Robin

May 19th
nkTy7v.jpg

August 19th
C5qnHS.jpg

Blockhead

April 22nd
fOeJMk.jpg

August 6th
fDyabI.jpg

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine up and decided to move a week ago. It's freaking nerve wracking. He seems content where he is now, but I have a feeling he will move again. His bubble tips are'nt bubbling. They are stretched out like he's hungry or wanting more light. Been that way ever since I pulled him from the 29.

Your tank is looking great and the photography top notch!

Thanks Paul! My anemone has settled down in my 29 for now, but if he expands full size he'll take up most of the tank. :D

sByNTb.png

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-configured the biopellet reactor, changing the recirculating piping to what I think is an improved layout. I added a feed pump as well and the result is a lot more tumbling and flow out of the reactor.

Nitrates dropped from 5 yesterday to 2.5 (matched the salifert color) today. Pretty fast drop for this tank. I dosed a little CaNO3. Will test again int he morning and possibly back off the reactor if it's really that more efficient. I kind of doubt it, I'd rather suspect a test error.

Colors are looking good, and more new coloration showing on the margins of a few frags. The slimer is showing the bright green it gets when nitrates are a bit elevated.

Fear my epoxy artwork. :D

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you know this, but just in case, make sure the output of your recirc reactor is positioned so it's feeding the skimmer. It increases the chances of skimming out that excess bacteria a bunch.

Great looking tank, sorry to hear about the nem move. I have the same problem, but it's more like a little army of 10+, haha ;)

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the growth pics. Those are always awesome to see.

Thanks. I need to get better at taking pics from the same location to better judge growth. I love looking at growth pics as well.

Great to see you on here bud tank is looking awesome

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Subscribed to your thread.

awesome tank :)

Thanks!

I'm sure you know this, but just in case, make sure the output of your recirc reactor is positioned so it's feeding the skimmer. It increases the chances of skimming out that excess bacteria a bunch.

Great looking tank, sorry to hear about the nem move. I have the same problem, but it's more like a little army of 10+, haha ;)

I do, but a great reminder anyway. I have the hose near the skimmer intake but I need some kind of hanger thing to get it really close. Thanks for having a look.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time since I updated. Latest FTS, slimer is trying to reach the waterline.
QFk8El.jpg

Looking at the post above I don't think "blockhead" has improved much.

AsujAO.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back