OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia is gone, and some SPS showing loss of color. KH climbed from 7.2 to 7.8 ish (could be testing error). I've been dosing NOPOX and 1 drop of PhosphateRx daily to control nutrients.

Overall health looks ok, and the birdsnest I use to judge growth still has long white tips so I don't think anything overly bad is happening, but I'll find out a few weeks from now.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spied on the acros this morning, all had really good polyp extension which is at least a sign they aren't showing any stress ... this morning anyway. Still sweating bullets until all the softies are dead and dissolved.

This is an older picture from the previous page. These are still there but I can see more and more of the rock (or fake rock) underneath and the Foxface is happily eating the algae starting to grow on and around them. The Xenia on the back wall in this picture is completely gone. The Foxface eats a lot of things, I wonder if he's been munching on the dead/dying Xenia?

M1a7trO.jpg

I have to admit I hope some of these survive, I always had a weak spot for the little Daisy polyps and these, while they can be invasive, are slow and easy to tear off ... and don't reproduce from just a small bit.

One last thing ... the blue stag (center in front of slimer, left is the hairy horrida), which has been mostly brown for years, is BLUE under flashlight light. lol ... so it what does it like exactly?

Last edited:
OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Stylo lost a lower branch. It never loses branches. This morning it was completely gone but it appears the part nearest the base is in the same place. This was covered in Xenia last week. I hate coincidences. KH 7.2

vrMcTvL.jpg

oU1eDgE.jpg

XZK4FQe.jpg

haeNlpt.jpg

oL31RIB.jpg

wG34Qrr.jpg

Orange passion
xXSI4Hy.jpg

Vivid Rainbow
1QSrey2.jpg

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new to report. The Purple Stylo had 3 lower branches RTN but seems to be stable. Some browning here and there, but not consistent and seems to be improving. The skimmer STUNK and was full of chunky goodness. Emptied 3 times so far. I am dosing 5ml NOPOX every 3 days and 2 drops of PhosphateRx every other day. Glass gets algae 6 hours after cleaning so the in tank nutrient load is pretty high. Nitrate still tests near 0, and I am not testing PO4 but I assume it's raised a bit.

Clowns delayed eggs laying by a week but now have a smaller than normal batch in the typical location.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color is returning fairly rapidly now, it appears the majority of the die off is over. I'm suddenly reminded I have some encrusting and other odd montis in here that are suddenly have room to grow ... like that green one with the blue polyps.

KMIk93L.jpg

sDqAAJ6.jpg

Hfaz8CO.jpg

The orange shrooms are alarmingly large. Easy enough to control, but cripes those things are big.

TIEVtB4.jpg

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's making a fast comeback!

I'm wondering if you can share your mp40's power? I'm using the same pumps as you (2x Mp40, 2x Jebao's) but on a 4' tank, mine currently max out at 70% (alternating 1 side RC, other CONST / vice-versa)

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's making a fast comeback!

I'm wondering if you can share your mp40's power? I'm using the same pumps as you (2x Mp40, 2x Jebao's) but on a 4' tank, mine currently max out at 70% (alternating 1 side RC, other CONST / vice-versa)

Hi Bo,

power is 100% and it's not enough for this tank, which is why I have 2 Tunze's in the back. I run the second purple mode (nutrient transport?), which alternates between wave mode and full blast left, right, and both.

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bo,

power is 100% and it's not enough for this tank, which is why I have 2 Tunze's in the back. I run the second purple mode (nutrient transport?), which alternates between wave mode and full blast left, right, and both.

Yeah it makes sense, only limiting factor in my case is the sandbed.. if i got past 75+% i will have a tank full of chaos ;). So you're running both synced on NTM?

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it makes sense, only limiting factor in my case is the sandbed.. if i got past 75+% i will have a tank full of chaos ;). So you're running both synced on NTM?

Yea, synced. I have an MP10 on a little 40 gallon and if I'm not careful it likes to sync up as well. :D They ALL go into feed mode anytime I put one of them in feed mode.

I use a medium sand and it did move at first but has settled. The biggest issue I'm having right now is getting flow everywhere. I let these colonies get too big, they need trimmed badly.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is not 100% healthy, some acros showing stress, so a full battery of tests this morning.

KH 6.7 - Alk usage on the increase.
Calcium 450 - slightly overdosing
Nitrate ~ 3 - No Xenia to consume nitrate
Phosphate 33 - .1 PO4 - high as expected, but not horribly high. Doing daily dosing of PhosphateRx, 1 drop REAGENT EXPIRED

PO4 might have been higher. Not too fussed with a powder expiring.

Salinity 38. Lowering it back down.

2nafisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be forever thankful for this thread. I just finished reading the entire thing. There is so much useful information. I’m currently beginning the sps journey (5 months in) and will be re-reading through this threat countless times.

Thank you sir for this information and I’m looking forward to continuing to follow this thread. I’ve spent countless hours/days/months reading everything I could possibly find and for some reason this thread made my murky brain fog a little clearer.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how did your salinity rise Mark?

2 part dosing. I haven't checked in a long time. Since I don't do water changes I need to keep up on it. One thing I did do this time was add mineral salts, which should help reset the balance in the tank. I didn't add much, the recommendation is to add equal amounts to 2 part and since I've never dosed that would be gallons and gallons. Ha.

Whatever was bothering the acros has stopped. Even the STN on the purple stylo stopped just before the tips and now is showing a hard edge. No losses so far, but I feel like I need another month before I can sounds the all clear. Will try and get pictures this weekend, including the blotchy appearance of some of the acros.

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you replace the razors. I’m interested because I have a razor on my tank and not having any luck programming. No access to a par meter.

Nothead59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About six months ago I bought a razor. I can’t get the colors. Mot good at programming them. Any advice. I don’t have access to a par meter. Do you have a program you would share

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About six months ago I bought a razor. I can’t get the colors. Mot good at programming them. Any advice. I don’t have access to a par meter. Do you have a program you would share

I replaced them a long long time ago. Run mostly blue with some white. The tank will still look blue to your eyes. I ran blue at 100% and white at 30 IIRC, but unless I documented it here I have no idea what the settings were. I also tweaked a lot, which is horrible for acros. Set and then don't touch for 6 months, see how things do. I replaced because I wanted more coverage. I still use LED pucks but supplement with 2 T5 bulbs for 6 hours a day.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back