Maroon clown and Cherub angel

Srh444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new here and this is my second msg I think.

I have an Aquamanta 80 so not a large tank. I have a yellow corris wrasse, a maroon clown and I did have a cherub angel. Over the past
few weeks my cherub angel seems to have taken a dislike to my maroon clown to the point that it's fins have been shredded. I moved the clown to a breeding trap and nursed it back to health. When the clownfish fins were looking like they should, I tipped him back in the tank. But over the course of an evening and waking up, looking into the tank the clownfish fins were all tatty again. I have now returned the cherub angel back to the lfs. These 3 fish have been in the tank for several months. Why would the cherub angel suddenly decide to pick on the clownfish?

I wanted to keep all three, but I'm attached to the clownfish as this was the first fish I bought.

Any reasons or behaviour issues most welcome.

Thanks in advance
Steve

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The competition for space and food and good neighbors who don’t annoy you is a problem that seems to be universal. Could be that the angel was jealous because you favored the maroon?

OP
OP
S

Srh444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cherub angel was the largest in the tank.

All three fish used to come and greet me when I walked into the room. But hoowon earth would an angel fish know that I favoured the clown ?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things are beyond our understanding, especially since you have returned the Cherub and can't have a sit down with the fish. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

A long time ago I had a friend at a LFS who noted that the fishes in our tanks always look best the day before they get sick and die. Things like this are often beyond our understanding, but what is surprising to me is how often we can't see what is right in front of us when a thing is happening.

I'm not immune to the problem, so don't think I am attacking you. Just making an observation, or two here.

Maroon clownfish are notorious for being aggressive in defense of their home turf. When new fish are added they often are seen as the bullies, shredding fins and killing newly added fishes, or just attacking hands that are in the tank cleaning the glass.

That the Cherub was larger may be why the Maroon had the visible damage after the Maroon challenged the Cherub to get out of its territory? Cherubs are also strong defenders of their turf, so if it was bigger and challenged it would naturally defend itself from attack or perhaps it attacked the Maroon if/when it failed to submit to the bigger fishes demands after it was added into the Maroons tank?

I have no idea what all the possible reason these fishes had to fight, but you clearly did the correct thing to remove one before one or both died from fighting. :cool:

I got a replacement clownfish yesterday, the original "pair" became a single overnight. I can't decide if they fought each other, or a bigger fish ate the missing clown, but I am going to force the new captive bred fish to meet up with an anemone before it comes out of the acclimation box. That way it will hide in the anemone and hopefully the other captive bred fish that is swimming around will follow it into one of the anemones that are in the tank. I feel they will have a better chance of survival if they hide themselves in a nem instead of swimming with the bigger fishes.

Wish me luck!

OP
OP
S

Srh444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things are beyond our understanding, especially since you have returned the Cherub and can't have a sit down with the fish. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

A long time ago I had a friend at a LFS who noted that the fishes in our tanks always look best the day before they get sick and die. Things like this are often beyond our understanding, but what is surprising to me is how often we can't see what is right in front of us when a thing is happening.

I'm not immune to the problem, so don't think I am attacking you. Just making an observation, or two here.

Maroon clownfish are notorious for being aggressive in defense of their home turf. When new fish are added they often are seen as the bullies, shredding fins and killing newly added fishes, or just attacking hands that are in the tank cleaning the glass.

That the Cherub was larger may be why the Maroon had the visible damage after the Maroon challenged the Cherub to get out of its territory? Cherubs are also strong defenders of their turf, so if it was bigger and challenged it would naturally defend itself from attack or perhaps it attacked the Maroon if/when it failed to submit to the bigger fishes demands after it was added into the Maroons tank?

I have no idea what all the possible reason these fishes had to fight, but you clearly did the correct thing to remove one before one or both died from fighting. :cool:

I got a replacement clownfish yesterday, the original "pair" became a single overnight. I can't decide if they fought each other, or a bigger fish ate the missing clown, but I am going to force the new captive bred fish to meet up with an anemone before it comes out of the acclimation box. That way it will hide in the anemone and hopefully the other captive bred fish that is swimming around will follow it into one of the anemones that are in the tank. I feel they will have a better chance of survival if they hide themselves in a nem instead of swimming with the bigger fishes.

Wish me luck!
Thanks KrisReef for your reply. The fish and corals certainly keep us on our toes don't they!

OP
OP
S

Srh444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your maroon? They usually dont put up with other fish’s BS like that and usually fight back to the point they both look bad
The Cherub probably 3" or 4" and the Maroon around 2.5" / 3". The Cherub was boss. But the Maroon used to try and pick on the Corris Wrasse but he could stand his own ground. I just found it odd that after several months all together, then this happened.

I originally had two Maroon clownfish, but the one I've just rescued used to beat the other one up, so sadly he went back to the LFS.

OP
OP
S

Srh444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wish me luck!

RI Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,
Curious who is killing my various shrimp? Is it the Cherub Angel or the Melanurus Wrasse? Thoughts?
Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,
Curious who is killing my various shrimp? Is it the Cherub Angel or the Melanurus Wrasse? Thoughts?
Thanks!
Either fish may have a chance of eating a shrimp but I would say that the wrasse with its carnivorous mouth and pecking skills would probably be the most likely predator to rip open a shrimp exoskeleton and eat the tasty soft parts, while the cherub would probably swoop in to pick up any leftovers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back