Maroon clown + Other clowns?

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning fish for my 30 tank and I really want a pair of fancy clowns (snowflake, picasso, etc). So far I have 1 maroon clown and 2 pj cardinals from a previous tank. Is this possible?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Wyoming White clowns in my 30 long. Occelaris, skunk, and percula are fine for a 30 gallon. If you get two maroons, you will probably have to make it a species only tank because they get so big and mean.
Question: do you already have a maroon clown and two cardinals in the 30 gallon already?

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the maroon clown and cardinals are already in my tank. They came over from my previous nano

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the maroon clown and cardinals are already in my tank. They came over from my previous nano
oh dang, then I say heck no to new clowns. The maroon will murder them (most likely). TBH, unless you are growing FOWLR, I would rehome the Maroon so you can get other fish in the future. I can go on about how big and mean they get, but just look up Maroon Clownfish in the search and read the stories.

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clowns are probably the most aggressive type of clownfish. It'll likely fight relentlessly with the pair of fancy ocellaris that you add. I tried it once and it was successful in teaching the ocellaris to host an anemone ASAP due to the fighting. However, I had to remove the maroon soon after.

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I may look for another home for the maroon. I’d much rather have a pair of picassos.

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, in a 30 I think it would be problematic. I have a 92 gallon DT and it was an issue, so I imagine the smaller tank would be even worse.

DoomFactory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of oscellaris that do get along with my 1 maroon clown in my tank. I made sure to offer several anemones for them, and the main anemone just happens to be wider than hand when fully expanded. Once in a while the maroon with chase the other clowns off the anemone, but never attacks or bash it as if it were another clown.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back