Maroon clown question

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a maroon clown in my tank for around 6-7 months bought two had to remove one due to both being the same size. Now all my clown does it hide in the bubble tips all day long comes out for maybe a few mins away. Was wondering if I added a smaller maroon if they would pair and maybe come out and swim

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a maroon clown in my tank for around 6-7 months bought two had to remove one due to both being the same size. Now all my clown does it hide in the bubble tips all day long comes out for maybe a few mins away. Was wondering if I added a smaller maroon if they would pair and maybe come out and swim
That’s kinda what they do, hang out in anemone and only come out to defend territory or eat. But even when eating. They don’t go far from home. And if they do, they run right back to their safe little anemone. I’d get another, and hope they pair up just because it’s .

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful when pairing maroons. The new one need to be significantly smaller than the existing one or you are very likely to have another dead maroon. Even with a much smaller one, they are often difficult to pair. You need to be prepared for the potential result.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done but its very risky and as others said, be prepared. Used acclimation boxes before to help and easy access to remove the fish.
Resized_20180407_190611.jpg

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After keeping 3 ( over 25 yrs )and finally pairing off the last one we had (had to be a flame tip wild gold) just like her or she wanted to wreak havok , thats about the only time you'll see a maroon "swim" and omg they will shake up the whole tank otherwise I would say they are total homebodies as has been said , also careful with other fish , I would suggest figuring out what you want to have now and add it so they become a crew , then you can replace the fish that pass with a doppleganger , but once established in a tank Maroon is def THE dominant fish , from our experiences. That said they are my favorite

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon is around 2 inch’s so should I get one maybe 1 inch
Yes, or smaller. And be prepared! Many people keep 1 maroon only. If they pair, then they will claim a larger area around the nem. And it will be their area regardless of what type of fish you have!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, or smaller. And be prepared! Many people keep 1 maroon only. If they pair, then they will claim a larger area around the nem. And it will be their area regardless of what type of fish you have!
Its certainly possible, I managed to get my old girl a new man this last year, but he’s way smaller than her. There now spawning every 2 weeks or so. They will rarely leave the nem, but it’s so good to watch them cleaning the rock behind there new, then spawning and tending the eggs..

316AC232-D05C-49E1-8069-117840006E13.jpeg 6C523A91-DECD-4FD1-8C55-0DBB002C121C.jpeg

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its certainly possible, I managed to get my old girl a new man this last year, but he’s way smaller than her. There now spawning every 2 weeks or so. They will rarely leave the nem, but it’s so good to watch them cleaning the rock behind there new, then spawning and tending the eggs..

316AC232-D05C-49E1-8069-117840006E13.jpeg 6C523A91-DECD-4FD1-8C55-0DBB002C121C.jpeg
That’s awesome!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I've finally paired my female with a male I would say she spends less time swimming about and they both tend to stick together around their small bta and that rock. The only real difference I notice other then that is she will attack me when I put my hand in the tank now, where as before she ignored me or was afraid.

It took me 2 males, and 5+ attempts before they paired. I put both the female and male at different times in acclimation box. There still was a lot of torn fins but eventually they worked it out.

lightningmaroonssept30.jpg

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I first added the male, he kept well away from her and I don’t think he knew what an anemone was, slowly he inched closer to my old girl, but totally avoiding the nem still. She showed zero aggression to him, eventally I think he copied her and got into the nem and he’s rare left it since..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back