Maroon Clownfish (Singular) as Bad as a Pair?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find what type of clownfish should go into my 65 gallon tank. Will a single maroon clownfish be as evil as a pair is? Maroons are in my opinion the best looking of the clownfish, but they also seem to be the meanest. I can't find any information as to the comparative temperament of a single specimen and a pair, but it stands to reason that a lone maroon might be less inclined to wreck havoc in a community tank. Thoughts?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find what type of clownfish should go into my 65 gallon tank. Will a single maroon clownfish be as evil as a pair is? Maroons are in my opinion the best looking of the clownfish, but they also seem to be the meanest. I can't find any information as to the comparative temperament of a single specimen and a pair, but it stands to reason that a lone maroon might be less inclined to wreck havoc in a community tank. Thoughts?
I kept a lightning maroon by herself for a while till she passed due to being egg bound or an internal obstruction. As she got bigger she became more aggressive. Nothing to serious. She was in a 90gal.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Sounds like I should probably avoid a maroon. What about a single tomato clown, or a pair of bicinctus? I'm really just looking for a colorful, hardy, non-murderous species that will naturally host BTAs. I'd rather avoid ocellaris or perculas. Any suggestions?

Ks4726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pair of maroons.. when they lay eggs watch out. The female is usually the problem. However a few months ago I got an emperor angel and for some reason the male doesn't like it. The clown is 3 inches and the emperor is like 7 and the clown beats up the emperor pretty good. I had to remove the clowns. Nasty fish.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, one is the same as two. But if you have 20, that is better. I have fireclowns which think they are tomato clowns as they look almost the same.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a maroon once. Added a smaller companion and they seemed to get along then several months later the original larger (presumeably female) attacked and killed the other. At no point did either bother the other inhabitants. Although that means nothing because all fish like people have their own personalities. At some point I'm looking to add a pair of Gold Nuggets and will see what happens. Fingers crossed.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my female was alone before mated and after mated and the male passed she was aggressive but only when another fish entered what she considered her territory. She didn't terrorize anyone just chased them out of her area. It was a 6ft tank so the other fish would just stay away from her. She would swim all over when I fed. She was more aggressive to me than other fish lol. I ended up rehoming her because she took over an area of the tank where I wanted to place some coral and anything I would place in her area she would destroy or if not attached she would knock it off the rocks. I think they are good in a decent sized fowlr but not a reef tank unless your will to allow her to have her own area.
My two when I had them
IMG_20180809_200046.jpg

Last edited:

Yackoski301

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a lightning maroon by herself for a while till she passed due to being egg bound or an internal obstruction. As she got bigger she became more aggressive. Nothing to serious. She was in a 90gal.
I got a clown fish for sale golden Nugget maroon clownfish does not come with a pair just one I even have a two spotted wrasse

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back