Maroon colored algae

Neilie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this is or how to get rid of it, On my second dose of red slime remover and it don’t look like it’s making a difference.
It’s hard and stuck on good, could barely scrap any off with my nail. Feels like it’s slimy.
81269600-6F23-4A19-B4FB-F60F83BF6297.png 9E121E58-420A-42EC-AB0C-B5675682E6C2.jpeg

Last edited:

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
N

Neilie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is probably the Burgundy Crust Algae Peyssonnelia (often called red coralline algae despite not being coralline algae). Definitely not cyanobacteria. It is harmless and (in my opinion) looks incredible when growing alongside purple and pink coralline.
http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=2127
https://www.melevsreef.com/creature?id=qINRkr0MKrkfQJhUe5YN
Thank you for your response, I feel better about it now. I’m just a little concerned it could start taking over. It started to cover a peg that had some star polyps, not sure if polyps weren’t making it or if algae is restricting them from doing better than they are. Guess time will tell. Thanks again.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response, I feel better about it now. I’m just a little concerned it could start taking over. It started to cover a peg that had some star polyps, not sure if polyps weren’t making it or if algae is restricting them from doing better than they are. Guess time will tell. Thanks again.
No problem!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a general rule, leave algae alone unless it's smothering corals. Definitely don't dose anything to kill it. If pest algae is running amok, the tank needs to be balanced and left to mature, not poisoned into compliance. Poisoning away an algae doesn't remove the reasons why it was running wild in the first place, so either it'll come back later, or something else will go amok.

I've got something along the lines of that stuff. It's really slow-growing for the most part, and I like the contrast it gives the rocks.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back