MarsAqua Trouble Controlling with Reef Pi

Msujeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a combination of Leviathan board and ML Lane Hat for MarsAqua and for some reason I cannot control dimming or On/off of the light via the reefpi lighting dash board.

If I make an analog connection in equipment section I can control on/off from PCA9685 driver but not as light jack. Also if I set up my J1 as reverse in the driver section it cuts power to the light

I'm getting a normal report out from i2c.

Setup: Leviathan Board JST to ML JST and both lights also plugged into ML via JST
0730202123.jpg

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a combination of Leviathan board and ML Lane Hat for MarsAqua and for some reason I cannot control dimming or On/off of the light via the reefpi lighting dash board.

If I make an analog connection in equipment section I can control on/off from PCA9685 driver but not as light jack. Also if I set up my J1 as reverse in the driver section it cuts power to the light

I'm getting a normal report out from i2c.

Setup: Leviathan Board JST to ML JST and both lights also plugged into ML via JST
0730202123.jpg
Does the Leviathan board output 3.3v or 5v PWM?

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any jumpers or hardware configuration options to get it to a 3.3v or 5v pwm?

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds as simple as changing the buck converter thankfully
It shouldn't need a converter since 3.3v and 5v are available from the rpi. On the other hand, I can't find a schematic, so maybe replacing a voltage converter is the best choice. If you don't want to change the converter, but would be willing to add a small bit of electronics between, I could help with a trivial voltage divider to move the 10v signal to a 3v3 or 5v signal.

Good Luck! I really love my Mars Aqua lights after several years. It's a shame they didn't include support for an external signal.

OP
OP
Msujeffery

Msujeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did convert down from 10v to 5v but for some reason I'm still struggling to control. I'm getting 5v per channel input to the board but with both lights turned off from the reef pi dashboard the light outputs are as follows from the ML hat to the marsaqua

Ch1: GND, 9.8v, 5.08v, 11v
Ch2: same but opposite order

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What voltages do you have on CH1 and CH2 inputs?

1596583475167.png

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains the output. If you have reef-pi set to have the lights off, you should be seeing very close to 0v on those pins. Do you see different behavior when you change the brightness in reef-pi?

OP
OP
Msujeffery

Msujeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains the output. If you have reef-pi set to have the lights off, you should be seeing very close to 0v on those pins. Do you see different behavior when you change the brightness in reef-pi?
Unfortunately I'm getting 5v no matter what. (Auto-off, Manual 38%/50%)

I'll see if Brandon has any suggestions also.

Tried PWM light jack 1 from board (pin 0,1) and jack 2 on board (pin 2,3)

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy fix might be to add a PCA9685 module if your board has a spot to add another i2c device.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just happened to see this thread on here while scrolling through the DIY forum for ideas on my own tank, lol.

Based on your initial Facebook post, I had assumed it was an i2c issue. Wish we knew what it was for sure, but glad everything was sorted with the fresh install & it's good to go now. If you want to tag me on here in the future so I see things more quickly, this is my account :)

OP
OP
Msujeffery

Msujeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just happened to see this thread on here while scrolling through the DIY forum for ideas on my own tank, lol.

Based on your initial Facebook post, I had assumed it was an i2c issue. Wish we knew what it was for sure, but glad everything was sorted with the fresh install & it's good to go now. If you want to tag me on here in the future so I see things more quickly, this is my account :)
Thanks Brandon! Your patience walking me through has been very helpful.

I may try to backtrack my steps to see if I can narrow down what option or setting was throwing it off originally if someone else encounters in future.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back